SOLVED "Audio Device is Disabled"...um, not

Reaction score
TrainableMan -- I did, to the point they say "re-install Windows". The thing is, I just got 10 of these machines... so it seems crazy that I have to re-install Windows on them all... I'm grasping at straws I guess hoping someone has a solution. This isn't the first weird thing that has happened in Windows 7 that is un-explainable and resulted in Microsoft or Dell saying "just re-install Windows"... so maybe whatever the solution is found can be applied to those weird cases.

I'm also opening a case with Microsoft, so I'll post if they have anything useful to say.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Typical, they always blame the other guy. It's not us, it's Microsoft; no it's not us it's Dell.

It's probably something simple like a driver or a registry setting but they are too busy blaming the other guy. OK you said it worked and suddenly didn't - was it after a Windows update? Immediately after you installed the software you mentioned?

Sometimes Windows update installs drivers it thinks are right that can actually be older than those from the manufacturer. Have you checked in device manager to see if you can roll-back any drivers related to sound? (If you can rollback it would seem to indicate they have been updated at some point)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Dan365 - have you tried going to the Sound section of Control Panel and then right-click in the window and choose "Show Disabled Devices". If you do that and then choose "Enable" you should be able to get the sound working.

This trick has worked for several friends and clients of mine when they had issues regarding sound.

Right-click in the above window and then select: Show Disabled Devices

Reaction score
Audio issues

I had this happen on some client systems today at work. To fix the issue I just went into the device manager uninstalled all the audio devices, rebooted and installed the driver that came with the device, I.E. stored driver. Hope this helps
Cheers

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tayhull, this thread is over 4 months old and is marked solved. I realize if you are used to day-month-year format this may seem to be only a few days old but dates here are in the format MM-DD-YYYY so the last post was from January 5th not May 1st.

Your answer can stay as it could help someone searching for a similar solution but generally avoid posting to threads with no active posts in 3 months

Welcome to W7forums.

Reaction score
Thank God

After literally days of searching online I have finally found someone with the same problem as me. Clicking enable or disable or configure on the context menu associated with the audio devices in the playback list does nothing.

There is a nice green checkmark next to the audio device that is currently plugged in but on my task bar it says no speakers or headphones plugged in and the icon has a speaker with a small red x next to it.

I've tried everything with no luck. Really don't want to have to reformat and install.

Reaction score
Please help, I have the same problem & there's some stuff missing in the realtek manager (image) I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating and rolling back the realtek driver, but nothing is working! :(

EDIT:
The problems is with windows security and the drivers. I found a working solution here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...lvable-problem-take-the-challenge-594113.html
The solution to this works, which is as follows: "Hi, go to start search and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type:-

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer"
solution by jenae on techsupportforum

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this a fresh install or was it working and now it stopped?

If it was working then I suggest you "restore system files and settings from a restore point" to a point prior to the issue.

There is also a Microsoft Fix-it for Audio problems which may be able to help.

Ask a Question