Are there compelling reasons to upgrade to Windows 7?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Say for example you bought a PC this month, a nice new i7-940, 8GB Ram, etc... something very high end that comes with Vista.

Are the new features and performance gains in Windows 7 enough to make you upgrade OS straight away?

I personally would, but only because I'm a geek and can't wait to try W7 out and make the most of the increased performance. I'm interested to know if there are people with high end PCs that will hold on to Vista for a little longer :)

I can understand companies wanting plenty of time before making the jump to Windows 7 (and many I know are still using XP - which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Reaction score
It's faster than Windows XP and every bit as stable. I'm sold.

Reaction score
I had a very good tweaked version of vista ultimate and gave that up for windows 7. This windows 7 rocks and only in beta ..:confused:

Reaction score
I think the best reason to upgrade (for me) is the new Media Center which is able to cope with Freesat :)

Reaction score
Windows 7 because of the performance, and the low amount of system resources that is processed in the OS. As well as this it has a cool feel to it, similar to vista, but vista is shit.

Reaction score
The short answer, is no.
It doesn't do much all that better than xp, and does some things considerably worse.
Plus, this os is, imho chock-a-block full of "change for change sake". For absolutely anyone who is quite happy with their xp, there is zero reason to switch.

Don't get me wrong...I'm already using rc as my main os...but I am quite insane, so ya can't go by me...

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me what the PC comes with. I'll rip the OS out with roots and all and put in whatever I want to use.

I bought an Acer laptop about 2 years ago from Best Buy. Overzealous salesperson wanted to show off his savoir-faire so I threw one out at him: "Can I remove the Vista Home and install XP on this thing?"

"No, they're not compatible," says the man.

Bullshit... I used the Vista installation long enough (damn it ran the laptop hot, too) to download XP drivers from Acer, then reformatted the HDD and slapped XP on it.

Now I'd just do the same with one exception: not XP, but W7.

I'm not using W7 to be on a bandwagon. I tried the beta, hated it, went back to Vista64. When RC was announced I decided to see if it runs better. It does. It does everything I want Vista to do, just faster.

XP is well and good if your machine is old and has crap hardware, or if you haven't experienced the extended functionality Vista or W7. Case in point: try Windows Search in W7, experience the pleasure of having all pertinent info just a few clicks away. Then go and try Search 4.0 in XP. It doesn't just suck ass; it's painful to use.

That is not to say XP itself sucks; despite its lackluster security features and anemic networking tools, it's a relatively stable OS. And if all you need is something to run Word and Internet Explorer with, then there you have it. Some like an Aston Martin, others prefer a Camry. They'll both take you where you're going if you handle them right.

Reaction score
Say for example you bought a PC this month, a nice new i7-940, 8GB Ram, etc... something very high end that comes with Vista.

Are the new features and performance gains in Windows 7 enough to make you upgrade OS straight away?

I personally would, but only because I'm a geek and can't wait to try W7 out and make the most of the increased performance. I'm interested to know if there are people with high end PCs that will hold on to Vista for a little longer :)

I can understand companies wanting plenty of time before making the jump to Windows 7 (and many I know are still using XP - which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
PC world claims that bench marks are not faster then Vista but.......... my system is faster in how it responds and I had ( no lie) 3 blue screens in a week on Vista home premium and none in 4 weeks of Windows 7 7077 and now 7100 RC so is it better?

I love Windows 7 where I hated Vista my Best friend and I are at a 7 week conference and he keeps saying that Vista is a Piece of crap and he is right, he is amazed how well win 7 works.

Forgot XP mode too! Big improvement

Reaction score
"Compelling" Maybe not, as I havn't had a problem with Vista in the 2 years I've had it.
However it does contain many features that will get me to buy it when available.
I love the new taskbar and library, gadgets that can be placed wherever I want them.
A big feature for me is the Media Center, while I don't believe US and Europian users had this problem in Vista, we did in Australia, the EPG for tv tuners was not available here.
In W7 it works great, allowing sheduled recording without having to find a printed version and manually set the recording.
In addition the over run time can be set as desired (our tv stations seldom run at the advertised time often finishing up to 10 minutes late and more) the Vista version had a limit of 4 minutes.
And not to forget the beautifull Australian images in the themes.
Overall feels better, works better and looks better.

Reaction score
For me i will go for the change to Windows 7. There are many new features incorporated in Windows 7 and one is the Multi-Touch Support of Windows 7. But still there are very less computer brands which support this Multi-Touch technology. I m planning to buy Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC for using this Multi-Touch feature of Windows 7. For more text on Multi-Touch feature of Windows 7 and Videos on Multi-Touch visit this Link. here there is a nice video showing the Multi-Touch feature of Windows 7.

Reaction score
I am using an old sony vaio, max 1gb ram, and vista is terrrrrible on my pc, windows 7 beta runs perfectly and more reliable (so far) than xp,

Reaction score
Martyn7 are you gonna get the RC, when did you install the beta? its pretty old now, very bug-gy

Reaction score
Martyn7 are you gonna get the RC, when did you install the beta? its pretty old now, very bug-gy
i waited for the RC1 and upgraded from a very very crappy vista installation, for me rc1 is very stable, some software compatability issues but thats normal, i will be upgrading to windows 7 when its available.

martyn

Reaction score
I had Vista Ultimate, always having to fix something or restoring and occassionally restoring from backup, major pain, even for a geek like me. It was slow and took 5 minutes to boot up, no kidding..

Win7 RC on the same machine, incredible difference, fast, boots fast probably a minute half, stable, and the only tweaks are minor compared to what I was dealing with before. LOVE IT.. definitely upgrading after release.

Reaction score
I had Vista Ultimate, always having to fix something or restoring and occassionally restoring from backup, major pain, even for a geek like me. It was slow and took 5 minutes to boot up, no kidding..

Win7 RC on the same machine, incredible difference, fast, boots fast probably a minute half, stable, and the only tweaks are minor compared to what I was dealing with before. LOVE IT.. definitely upgrading after release.
I agree with your observations, i remember only one other windows operating system that was as stable as win 7, windows 2000 and they stopped producing it

just need the software manufacturers to catch up with updates, norton is terrible, i am using a mcafee beta at the moment and its working smooth, by the way acronis products work well for backup and disk management

martyn

Ask a Question