Animated boot screens for Windows 7?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's what I'd like to know. As much tuning, and money spent on software (and hardware) to increase boot times, and get to your logon screen, I just don't understand it. Still, it seems like it would slow the process.

But if another wants to watch animation during that time, I have to agree that since it's their computer, it's their choice.

I'd still like to get rid of that screen altogether.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, you do understand that things are happening in the background as this little video plays, right? It's not like if it was removed the login screen would suddenly be there instantly. The programs/drivers still have to load whether it's a blank screen or animation; the few milliseconds of processing required to display the animation just keep users from thinking their machine locked up while login modules etc are being loaded into memory.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I do understand that things are happening during this time. My only concern is that having animation would use more resources than the default Windows symbol coming up, and the time to get to the logon page would be slower. That's all.

I'll probably never know, since I won't be doing it. However, as I've already stated, everyone can do whatever they want with their computers, it theirs.

Cat

Reaction score
As the author of that program (http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/) I would like to tell everyone that it causes no additional drain on resources than the standard animation. In fact, I believe it requires less time due to some skipped security checks. However the time difference would be tens of milliseconds on most computers.

The future version which will have a full screen background image will require a few more resources and cause the bootup time to be slightly longer (once again, only be tens of milliseconds).

Please read the article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/02/18/engineering-the-windows-7-boot-animation.aspx about the efficiency. I use the exact same process, just replace their graphic and colors with my own.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
thaimin, welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to come here and explain things. Your posted credentials (on your site) are impressive, so I can only assume that your work is good.

We need more programmers here, I hope that you'll hang around, or at least drop in from time to time. Having a very busy career as you do, I firsthand know that your time is limited.

Hope to see you again.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks cat! This project is just part of my hobby, which is why my updates come months apart. Most of my credentials have nothing to do with this project.

However, I would like to tell you some things that I know about the psychology of waiting.

Even though adding a boot animation may slow down the bootup process from a blank screen, a blank screen will appear to take much more time than an animation. Engineers have been wrestling with this human perception issue for a long time. I know of this 'classic' story about this problem:

A building kept on receiving complaints about how slow the elevators were. They brought in engineers and programmers to speed them up and make them more efficient in which floor they decided to go to. However the complaints continued. Then a psychologist recommended adding mirrors outside the elevators and all complaints stopped.

A more modern solution seems to be TV screens outside elevators in tall buildings. Just the little indicator of which floor the elevator is at helps. Luckily for these situations the elevator does not become any slower. Computers are not so lucky.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
thaimin, I see where you're coming from, or I at least think I do. This animation screen goes well beyond the displayed scene (which happens to be animation), and provides somewhat of a distraction, as you're pointing out, the "psychology of waiting" deal.

Most everyone wants everything to be fast these days. While this is not always possible (lightning fast boot times in this instance), the animation reduces the anxiety during this time, as opposed to the familiar Windows symbol appearing, which in fact, doesn't happen instantly. There's a noticeable wait time for it to occur. So the animation (of the users choosing) helps to "lessen" this time, or at least the user feels this way, which is the main point here.

It's similar, although the time frame is greatly different, to the event that I had last week. I took my car to have the timing & drive belts changed. It's about a two and a half hour job. Normally, this time would have dragged out, between reading magazines and looking at that CNN News channel going.

Instead, I carried my notebook computer with me, I was doing some work (setting up a virtual machine), and that time flew by. I got there at 12:45 and left a little after 3PM. The distraction of working with the notebook not only made the time go faster, but I was more comfortable as well. No backache, no yawning, and I felt good. And not once, did I become concerned with the waiting for my car.

A much different setting (than the animation screen), but the end result was the same. Some calls it "killing time", and it works.

Thanks for coming back with the more clearer view of things.

Cat

Reaction score
Is there a way to add your own animated boot screen to Windows 7 startup? I know it was possible to change the picture on older versions, but this was only a static image.
Actually yes there is i dont know how long ago you posted this but there is now a beta software up called Win7BootUpdater and it changes it the animation is actually 105 frames put into one long vertical picture and played for 4 seconds then looped the remaining seconds until logon is complete and you can find it here: http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/extras/ its actually a handy software and if you dont want to make you're own boot animations download some from deviantart there are quite a few to choose from

Reaction score
CHECK THIS COOL WINDOWS 7 BOOT SCREEN:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]HtBllPmwtX8[/MEDIA]"]Boot Screen for windows 7 - YouTube[/ame]

DOWNLOAD LINK OF PROGRAM AND BOOT SCREEN IN YOUTUBE DESCRIPTION.

AND CHECK MORE AWESOME ANIMATED BOOTSCREENS HERE:
http://windows7bootscreens.com

Last edited:

Ask a Question