After Win 7 update, can't boot from anywhere

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, so the easiest first.

Get the latest Video drivers.

Automatically Detect and Install
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

I must admit, I am starting to think that the drivers for ATI cards are rather bad or just poorly written.

STACK_COMMAND: .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
atikmpag+7a14
9378ea14 8bff mov edi,edi

SYMBOL_NAME: atikmpag+7a14

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: atikmpag

IMAGE_NAME: atikmpag.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4fd61c0d

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys

BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys

Shintaro

Reaction score
A couple of other questions:

1/ Is the card securely in the motherboard slot. If you are not sure shutdown the computer. Re-seat the card (remove it and put it back).
2/ Is there a fan on the card? Is it spinning?
3/ Is the slot locking devices on the motherboard ok? Or is it broken?

Reaction score
You don't have Admin privileges? Based on the dates is it the most recent one, if no then don't worry about it.

While we are waiting for the DMP files analysis, I'll ask more details. Hopefully Shintaro has a chance to look at those today.

Were you using the default settings up until last night? How long had W7 been installed and working with those default settings? Have you installed any new hardware recently, if yes, how long ago? When was your last virus scan; anything suspicious? Can you get to safe mode and run a virus scan now? Do you have your computer on a surge protector and have you had any recent thunderstorms (No and Yes would make me worry again about the hardware, possible MOBO or power supply damage)?
Of course I have admin privileges, but it just wouldn't copy, I had no way of "copying with admin rights". It wasn't even the newest file, kinda weird.

1) I have not installed new hardware in 1 year
2) My last virus scan with Avast was at most 2 months ago
3) I do have a surge protector, because my previous mobo broke after an electricity problem at home

As regards as software I'm careful, I scan everything before installing.

Reaction score
A couple of other questions:

1/ Is the card securely in the motherboard slot. If you are not sure shutdown the computer. Re-seat the card (remove it and put it back).
2/ Is there a fan on the card? Is it spinning?
3/ Is the slot locking devices on the motherboard ok? Or is it broken?
1- I removed almost every components today and put them back in right position, so yes.
2- There is a fan on the video card, which works fine
3- The motherboard is relatively new, bought it around 10 months ago, and everything looks fine.

Regarding video drivers, it prompts me every now and then to update them and I always do. I'll check the latest nevertheless.

Edit: The utility said that I got the latest drivers installed.

Shintaro

Reaction score
May I suggest that when this problem is solved, that you create an account on your computer that does not have admin right, and that you use that account.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Oh well, I thought they might have fixed the problem.
So you would have a CD that came with the video card...yes?

1. Uninstall ALL the ATI junk, CCC (Catalyst control center)
  2. Reboot
  3. Install ONLY the driver from the CD that came with the video card.
Let us know how that goes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Borrowed from and credit to usasma.

Below is aimed at installing the most recent Drivers ONLY. It can be used with the older driver.

While the procedure below may appear daunting, just follow it one step at a time and it'll work for you. If you have any questions, just post them in the forums and we'll be glad to provide assistance.

NOTE: If you already have the ATI drivers installed, please use the Catalyst Uninstall Manager (in Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program) to remove all of the ATI video driver components. Be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!. Here's a link from AMD about removing graphics drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

1. Download the latest version of the Catalyst Software Suite from http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx .
  2. Double click on the downloaded executable file (it's name will look something like this: 12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe ).
  3. The installation will first stop at a screen which notes where the installation folder is (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ). Please make a note where this folder is located as you'll use it later on to install the drivers. Then click on Next/Install to continue with the installation.
  4. The installer then extracts the files to that folder and then launches the AMD Catalyst Install Manager. Click on "Cancel", then click on "Yes" to exit the AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
  5. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter when devmgmt.msc shows up at the top of the search box.
  6. In Device Manager, click on the +/> sign next to Display adapters.
  7. Right click on the display adapter and select "Update Driver Software".
  8. Select "Browse my computer for driver software. Locate and install driver software manually."
  9. Type (or paste) the location of the installation folder that you remembered from Step 3 (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ) into the search box and ensure that "Include subfolders" is checked - then click on "Next" in the lower right corner.
  10. Drivers will install (and screen may go black temporarily). System will then show a window that states "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" Click on "Close" in the lower right corner of the window (Screen may again go black temporarily).
  11. And you're done!!!

NOTE: If it says that the most current drivers are already installed - go back and uninstall all ATI video stuff (be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!). Then run the procedure from Step 5 again (the new directory from Step 3 should still be there).

Reaction score
I don't have the CD but I uninstalled all ATI stuff, restarted and bsod keeps ocurring in "Load default" bios mode.

I'm currently reinstalling the latest ati drivers.

I'm guessing Asrock G31M-S is not a good quality mobo. lol

Reaction score
So how are things going??
Hi, how you doing?
I'm just using my PC in "Load Performance Setup Default" mode as if nothing happened.
Don't know what consequences might have this, if any.

If I ever come up with a solution of this error I'll let you guys know.

Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just as a test, if you select "Load Defaults" make sure that the onboard VGA is disabled. And that the "Primary Graphics Adapter" is set to PCI Express.

Reaction score
The primary graphics was set to PCI and I changed it to PCI Express, but I couldnt find the onboard video option...

Shintaro

Reaction score
How is it going?
If you still have crashes please upload them.

Reaction score
Going fine. No crashes at all, except from the bsod in load defaults.

Ask a Question