Advanced Windows 7 Performance Tweaks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is a pretty cool tutorial that i found not that long ago. Its pretty handy and works very well :)

http://www.computingunleashed.com/2009/06/speed-up-windows-7-ultimate-guide-to.html
Following the advice that this link provided led me to a reinstall of my OS this afternoon. I disabled that indexing deal, there was a long wait, as there was a bar with all kinds of files going by for 15 minutes. After that, I done some of the other tasks listed. Prior to doing this, I set a restore point. I didn't like what I saw, (plain looking picture, icons looking like Win 2K) so I tried to restore my settings to the restore point that I created. After a 2 hour wait of the system trying to restore registry settings, it displayed that it failed. I had to use my emergency repair disc to access my recovery partition. It may have worked well for you, but it almost broke my computer. I mean, when System Restore won't bring it back, it's bad.:mad:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Keep it coming. This thread is a very useful learning (or relearning!!) curve. Negatives (like mine - sorry) are as useful as positives.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Keep it coming. This thread is a very useful learning (or relearning!!) curve. Negatives (like mine - sorry) are as useful as positives.
Actually davehc, I done this before your post. Had I seen it, I would never have messed with it. I read lots and lots of tech articles, and most of them says the same things, as far as performance tips goes. This one stood out a little, so I said why not, and created a restore point. After I was disappointed, what made me more disappointed was the fact that System Restore could not bail me out. This is the first time I've ever been denied a system restore, and I've used the function hundreds, if not a thousand times. Let's not forget that I had to use my emergency boot disc to get back in. The only "true" performance "tweaks" are adding RAM, if necessary, and editing your power plan to "high performance", simple things. If anything good at all comes out of this, someone will see these posts, and kick that poor advice to the curb.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Lets clarify that we are talking about SpeedFan here.
What I was referring to in my post was the fact that the previous poster had said "it shows the temperatures of my fans."

That's all. A mere clarification on my part.

Ask a Question