'Account unknown' account I did not create showing up in security tabs (properties)

Reaction score
I have a mysterious account showing up in all security tabs when I right-click properties of files that I DID NOT add myself!!! the name is 'Account Unknown' followed by a bunch of numbers,letters and dashes!!! can someone tell me how did this account on my computer get here and how to remove it???

Reaction score
Do you have your guest account activated by chance? That would be my guess. After checking some of my files, I don't have that and I don't have the guest account activated either.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This usually happens if you're dealing with files that were created or modified on a different system (another installation of Windows on the same machine or a completely different one). It happens because the file system has added user access information into the file header, and since the new system doesn't recognize the user info it just displays its SID number and calls it an unknown user.

This is completely harmless.

Reaction score
This usually happens if you're dealing with files that were created or modified on a different system (another installation of Windows on the same machine or a completely different one). It happens because the file system has added user access information into the file header, and since the new system doesn't recognize the user info it just displays its SID number and calls it an unknown user.

This is completely harmless.

but I made this file myself in GIMP!!!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Looks like it's a NT Service account belonging to Windows Media Player's Network Sharing service. If you don't use Windows Media Player to share media on your network, with an Xbox, or to sync media with a portable audio device, then you can disable the WMPNetworkSvc service entirely in services.msc & this user account should stop appearing. At any case, it's a harmless system account.