Aah!! Dilemmas, Dilemmas. Career Change.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
This is aimed mainly at you Brits out there but any comments are welcome!

Anyway, my motto in life has always been "as one door closes another one slams shut in your face" and it's usually been pretty accurate!

However, today I'm sorting through a weeks worth of mail. After discarding the usual hate mail :eek: I opened an interesting letter that could be a career change opportunity for me. Not one option, but two!

The options I'm interested in are training up to be either: a (Part P) qualified sparks or training up as an IT Technician.

I've re-wired a couple of houses in my lifetime. I've built up a couple of PC's as well. I've always worked with my hands, I like taking things apart, so when they break I know what I'm looking at (putting them back together is another matter!!). I like to stand back and look at something and think, "I did that".
So I think I'd be adequately able in both lines of work. Ideally I'd like to end up self employed.

So I suppose I'm really asking for advice from people in either lines of work on their opinion of job prospects. Going it alone etc..

New Year, New Start and all that, don't ya know!!

TIA

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
(Part P) qualified sparks
Please translate for us non English, English speakers.:) I have a guess but that's all.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting time for you Elmer - I don't know much about either profession, but I wish you luck! Hopefully there will be someone here that has some experience with one of those jobs.

Please translate for us non English, English speakers.:) I have a guess but that's all.
A sparkie/sparky is an Electrician in British slang :)

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go for sparkie. Good trade to have, relatively clean work unless your digging in lines.Always in demand.
I.T people also always in demand and good ones harder to find but I'd imagine a lot more competition and young guns out there.
Good luck whatever you choose.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would go for the IT job, if I knew it. There's plenty of work, especially with companies who runs Windows based computers. But Linux IT employees are harder to come by, and well qualified ones get paid a lot better. Many companies have turned to Linux (non free) for their needs, and the trend is expected to continue for quite some time.

The reason being, is that older computers can easily be upgraded to a modern Linux OS, even those that are over five years old (those that were built to run XP). That's a lot of money saved.

If I were in my 20's again, I'd go to computer training school without second thought.

I wish you the best in your new career.

Cat