SOLVED 945GCT-M/1333 ver.3

Reaction score
This would be my first and just wanted to some feed back

I received this MB 945GCT-M/1333 ver.3 and planing on buying and installing items
1 thru 4 with window 7 32bit.

BIOS Version
American Megatrends Inc. 080012 11/07/2007

CPU
Intel E2200
Memory 1.0 GB

1. 4gb 667MHz PC2-5300 DDR2
2. Western Digital RE4 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 64 MB 3.5-Inch
3. Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98
4. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
945, welcome to the forum!

You have 4GB RAM, it would be best if you install a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on it. The cost is no more. Most modern desktop processors (CPU's) will run 64 bit OS's.

The 32 bit OS can only use around 3.25GB of your RAM, so the other .75GB would be a waste. Plus, for most users, 4GB RAM is considered to be the "sweet spot" for 64 bit Windows 7. Not too much, not too little.

Plus, the 64 bit OS will be able to do more at the same time (multitask) far better than a 32 bit one will.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
ok sounds good and being I have the anytime update, how do I get the 64 bit and would I still be able to to buy the items that I posted with out any problems?:)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If you need that processor for that board, that's fine. I'm not sure you need the cooler but that's your call.

Reaction score
I'm thinking for the future of buying the e8400 for this MB and if nothing else I plan on buying a MB that supports the 1156 and 1366 platforms which this cooler supports.

Universal Socket Compatibility The Cooler Master Hyper TX3 features broad compatibility with AMD socket AM2, AM2+ and AM3 platforms, as well as Intel LGA 775, 1156 and 1366 platforms

Reaction score
I'm thinking for the future of buying the e8400 for this MB and if nothing else I plan on buying a MB that supports the 1156 and 1366 platforms which this cooler supports.
I've purchased my last LGA775 system and skipping the LGA1156 all together. From now on it's Sandy Bridge(LGA1155) and come the first of next year Ivy Bridge. The cooling fan mounting holes for LGA1156 match the LGA1155 boards.

Reaction score
I don't plan on putting alot into this MB its not the best by any means but it sure out preforms my hp pavilion 526x all around!

I plan on using the 945GCT-M/1333 ver.3 MB which is in a emachine T2885 in my guest room and using the hp as a spare.

My main computer which I'm undecided on simply because i'm leaning towards MB's that support the latest of the greatest new amd fusion chips which should all be out before the years up.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ok sounds good and being I have the anytime update, how do I get the 64 bit and would I still be able to to buy the items that I posted with out any problems?:)
Any anytime upgrade simply takes you from one W7 level to another (example W7 Home Premium to W7 Professional) and it does not care if you have 32 or 64-bit but you must first own and install W7 before you can use the anytime upgrade. Whether you install 32 or 64-bit will not affect the other items you plan to buy.

Catilley said:
Plus, the 64 bit OS will be able to do more at the same time (multitask) far better than a 32 bit one will.
I question the accuracy of this statement. Both 32 & 64 bit OSes are designed to multitask, thus allowing multiple windows, etc. Perhaps I misunderstand exactly how you mean it and maybe you have an article I can read to understand?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What I meant is that you can do more at once with 64 bit. Not just having more than one window open, that was only an example. Like having a couple of windows open, burning an .iso image, streaming a video, folding, & running a VM, all at once. Depending upon your CPU/RAM, all of these things can be done together, and more.

One can only stretch 3.25GB RAM (the 32 bit "limit") so far, and this is an example where the machine would crash, if pushed this hard. Way back, sometime after 7 was released, Nibs explained this in one of the never ending "32 vs 64 bit" threads that was posted on this very forum, comparing the experience between driving on a 4 lane superhighway, vs a 2 lane road. Ian even wrote an article on it. Note that he also mentions the RAM usage between the two.
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Another article on the subject.
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

As a final note, my personal experience with running VM's has been even more positive, being that I have extra RAM to lend to them (2.5GB each), and they perform more like a "real install", even XP Pro 64 bit. I can run these, w/o a negative impact on folding.

It's a fact, if one just does a little searching, it'll be seen that 64 bit can do quite a bit more than a 32 bit can, even with only 4GB RAM. Install each version on the same machine, perform self tests, and one can see the difference their self.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On a 64-bit machine applications can be bigger (like huge spreadsheets) because they can address more memory and if the machine has memory over 3.3GB then more applications could be run at the same time but 3GB on 32-bit should run essentially the same number of applications and at the same speed as 3GB on 64-bit.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The reason that I suggested 64 bit was because the OP had 4GB RAM in the specs (the 1st post of the thread). One needs a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of that amount of RAM.

You're 100% correct, 3GB or less, the bit version doesn't really matter. Which is why I wondered why my desktop came with 64 bit Windows 7 on it, when it only came with 2GB of installed RAM. The system was sluggish, and it was only after I installed 4GB RAM (it's max), that it performed at an acceptable level to me.

Before I upgraded my RAM, I had in fact considered downgrading to 32 bit, but I'm glad that I stuck with it, and filled my RAM slots full.

Cat

Reaction score
on the home page for this MB it did mention in red that 64 bit os w/64 bit cpu would not be limited up to 4gb and I wasn't sure if the cpu would except a 64 bit os.

I have been told and this is just hear say that the 64 bit would be able to view 3-d images better, like building plans.

º Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
º 2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 4 GB
º Support DDR2 667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM
º * After ECS validation, this board can support DDR2 max to 4GB, please refer to memory support list
Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS.
For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
945, if you're going with this system, with 4GB RAM, then 64 bit Win 7 is the best option. If you were to install the 32 bit OS, the OS itself would have only 3.25 to 3.3GB of RAM to use, of which some will be used for your onboard video card. At a minimum, that will probably be 256MB on a modern computer.

Which would leave even less for your OS to run on.

The MB on my desktop only accepts the DDR2 RAM & maxes out at 4GB (that's all it can hold). With the 64 bit OS in place, I have the full amount of RAM available for my use. 256MB goes to video, the rest (3.75GB) is available for Win 7 to run on.

The bottom line is, if you're going to install 4GB RAM, go with 64 bit. No need to waste your money here. You'll never see the benefit of having 4GB in going with a 32 bit install.

Cat

Reactions: 945

Reaction score
thanks cat and everyone,
really cleared the fog and I look forward to posting again. :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're quite welcome, 945. I hope that your build turns out well for you. Should you need anymore help along the way, always feel free to post.

Check out our Free Software Database on the forum, there may be a few apps that you'll need along the way.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can download the 64-bit from several sites. You can use the same product key as long as it's a valid key. The key works for both versions.

The Intel E8400 Yorkfield is an excellent Dual-Core CPU and outperforms several Quad-Core CPUS from Intel.

Each socket set is different from Intel, so therefore a different motherboard is required for each version whether its Socket 1156, 1155 or 1366. The socket number designates the number of pins used in the socket, so therefore a Socket 1156 has 1,156 pins the CPU mates to. Intel boards are different in that fact versus AMD boards which in many cases will cover a broad range of CPUs.

Remember that regardless of what you decide to do, that by the time it hits the marketplace it's already out of date because of something newer and better coming down the pike. It's always been that way.

I would recommend that you find some setup that you'll be happy with for the next 3-4 years at minimum.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's the one thing about all electronics, computers in particular. As soon as you begin using it, you realize that you're outdated from the go. Newer components are hitting the market weekly.

This is why I would never spend a ton of cash on a "bleeding edge" system, it's more practical to go with components that's of good reputation, at a reasonable price, and go from there.

From my prior & present experience with Intel CPU's, I prefer them over AMD. GPU's are still up in the air for me, NVIDIA makes excellent ones, but some of their driver updates, especially the last one, probably spoiled the day for others besides me. Their further support will determine whether I stick with the brand or not.

I agree with Nibs on this, it's best to build a system that will satisfy the user for a few years. That's the most important issue when considering the build. This will vary with each user's needs & budget.

Plus, playing keeping up with the Jones' will be a never ending chase of perfection that the average user cannot attain. It's best to not get caught up in this.

Cat

Reaction score
After reading Windows 7: 64 bit vs 32 bit? I want to keep it simple; I’ll stick to the 32 bit, I don’t do any CAD, video editing or heavy multi-tasking.
I’ve been told that windows 7 would not work on this mb, so I installed windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and it works great.
I do have the manual for this mb and did follow the instructions for the proper pin selection. The biggest problem I’ve encountered had been trying to connect a WD idle 60GB HD to load windows on.
What I did is connect the HD as master to the idle cable along with a cd rw set as slave.
My next step is buy the sata 2 HD, sata dvd RW and throw in another 2 GB of ram, throw out the Idle drives reload windows on the sata drive and hopefully it will be a completed.
As it stands now the only problem that’s bothering me is I always shut the power off on the computer and modem and when I turn it back on I have to go into the bios and reset date & time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sir, I believe the driver you're referring to is the IDE driver, and it's basically universal with MS supplying the correct driver for it.

IDE drives are still useful in that you can use them for external storage, if you want to. There are many external drive cases that support both IDE and SATA drives.