3850 HD Drivers

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Win7 RC just last night and found great difficulty installing the video driver. I wiped the drive and did a clean install. I made sure to download the current Win 7 Beta driver from ATI's web site with the same results as elvispresley; The driver doesn't install and windows says it didn't install correctly. This I repeated several times removing the driver and trying to reinstall. I downloaded the Vista 32 driver and had the same problem. Then I went so far as to attempt updating the driver in the device manager and pointing to where the driver was and windows 7 still could not see it and could not install it. I don't get it. Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Win7 RC just last night and found great difficulty installing the video driver. I wiped the drive and did a clean install. I made sure to download the current Win 7 Beta driver from ATI's web site with the same results as elvispresley; The driver doesn't install and windows says it didn't install correctly. This I repeated several times removing the driver and trying to reinstall. I downloaded the Vista 32 driver and had the same problem. Then I went so far as to attempt updating the driver in the device manager and pointing to where the driver was and windows 7 still could not see it and could not install it. I don't get it. Any help?
Is this for the same ATI Radeon 2600 HD, or a different ATI card?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you paste the exact error message you get from trying to install the drivers please?

Windows 7 should come with a default driver for that card which should work well enough in most cases - although it isn't right that the new ATI ones don't install as they specifically list the 3850 on the Windows 7 driver section.

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Well, I've tried to reinstall the ATI driver for my HD 3850 again and nothing. The ATI install completes but no driver installs. Here is a copy of the log after the install;

Catalyst® Install Manager
Installation Report
05/09/09 08:35:39

Hardware information
Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x9515
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x0028
Subsystem vendor ID 0x174b
Other hardware

Existing packagesATI Catalyst Install Manager
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable

Packages for install
ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.719.0
Size: 20 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x1100
Vendor ID 0x1022
Class Code 0x060000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x0000
Subsystem vendor ID 0x0000

Error messages

As far as a Win7 error is concerned, it was more of a message than an error. It was a popup from the task bar that said the driver didn't install correctly. Well, I knew that. I didn't see this message after my last driver install attempt but when it does, I'll post it.

Concerning the current driver installed; well, it's okay but certainly not good for any gaming. What is installed is a Standard VGA Graphics adapter that supports 16Mb ramdac and 8 bit driver which is pathetic when compared to my 900mhz, 512Mb card. The highest resolution is 1400 x 1050 and the current driver won't pick up my 23" monitor since it can't support it.

When I installed the Win7 beta, I had the same problem where the ATI driver wouldn't install from ATI's install program, but I was able to point to the driver from the device manager via 'update driver' after right clicking the graphics driver listed. Once I did that in the beta program, the graphics and monitor drivers showed correctly. But certainly not in RC.

I want to get the graphics driver issue resolved in Win7 RC before I spend any time installing anything else.

Reaction score
Hey Ian. After restarting, the following message appeared in the taskbar; "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Click here for details." After clicking for details, it showed the following two drivers didn't install;
Multimedia Audio Controller and Unidentified Device

I'm sure these are both associated with my HD 3850 graphics card since this came up in the last Win7 beta but went away after I found the correct driver. Any thoughts?

Also, I tried finding a better windows driver for this card and found nothing. Win7 feels this is the best and only driver for my card. :\

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've tried to force update the driver with the ones you download from the net, then it should work - so I don't know why it hasn't. Did you extract the ATI drivers to a folder somewhere and use the "have disk" method in device manager for the default graphics adapter?

Reaction score
Well, I was finally able to force the driver to install. It was a pain in the backside and I'm still puzzled as to why ATI's install won't work. In any case, I appreciate your help Ian, very much.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great news, I'm glad it's working now :)

Ask a Question