32 bit programs on 64 bit Windows 7

Reaction score
The 64 bit version of Windows 7 was pre-installed on my laptop when I bought it, but there a 32 bit programs that I have to run on this machine. Can someone recommend a work-around that will allow me to do this? I thought of installing dual operating systems...will that work? Thanks, Gary

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nearly all 32-bit software will run on the Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Try one or two of the programs you have and see how it works out for you.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The program I'm most concerned about won't even install. When I attempt to install it, I get an error message that specifically states that it will only run on a 32 bit system.

Reaction score
Here's a comprehensive list of freeware that will run on Windows 7 64-bit systems: Best Free Windows 7 Software.

Where a native 64-bit application is currently unavailable in an important category, a suitable 32-bit alternative is provided.

Perhaps the program you're having installation issues with can be replaced with a 64-bit version of a program from this list. I have found a few good programs off of this list before and it can be very helpful.

You can also check out the Free Software Database here on this forum. Many good programs listed there.

Last edited:

Ask a Question