SOLVED 1st BSOD after mobo/ram upgrade

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'll try to get back to you on Sunday or Monday, my days off. I worked two double-shifts today and yesterday so I've been busy.

Are all the external hard drives connecting via USB? Do you use eSATA at all?

Reaction score
Here's the cpu and ram tabs.PS As off Thursday pc got real slow. NIS 2012 beta & Malwarebytes have both come up clean, even in Safe Mode. . Disk isn't full of temp. files or fragmented. sfc /scannow fixed something and Check Disk was ran on both drives last night. No error's found on either drive. Safely Remove Hardware has also disappeared when externall hd is plugged in & turned on. It also, didn't show up when I plugged a flash drive type USB device that is used for wirelessly uploading information about my insulin pump readings. Which both of those are medical devices for type 1 diabetes.

RAM is set well now, 1600 9 9 9 24. Sometimes you need to set the voltage manually.

CPU frequency should be way lower when idling, so make sure AMD C ' & ' Q is on in the bios.

Run sfc /scannow.

Reaction score
Nibs: I'm using eSATA for my external Iomega backup drive. cybercore: I try to change the DRAM voltage in the board's AMI version 1.90 bios and the only selection available is AUTO. I'm wondering if there's something else in the bios's Cell section that need's to be changed first, to enable the ability to change the ram;s voltage.

Reaction score
Nibs. I found out from MSI 2.what the 2.2TB Infinity is in the bios. It's for if you have a hard drive larger than 2.2 tbs. That would explain why I had problems with the bios's default settings. The defaults both enable it and if you don't have a 3.0 gb. hard drive with whatever, Seagate, Western Digital, etc. you get a MBR error, plus that's obviously why my eSATA drive only showed up in Device Manager. Once, I turned 2.2TB Infinity off in the bios it worked. As far as this post, I'm still waiting on MSI's support to get back to me further on whatever of the bios settings need to be altered for changing dram voltage, etc.

Reaction score
It's weird how certain settings in the bios are enabled by the fail safe default and optimized defaul settings that really shouldn't be enabled. Both S1 sleep mode and 2.2TB Infinity get enabled in both, as does an eSATA drive get placed as 1st drive in the bootup options. Stupid, don't you think ? I also wonder when they're switching over to UEFI. From what I understand Asus is already using it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Eventually all the Big Three Motherboard makers will be in step with each other. UEFI is the next wave of things to come. ASUS is usually a front-runner when it comes to new technology in some aspects. Gigabyte is usually right there with ASUS. The only problem is that sometimes ASUS fiddling with new tech will get bit in the butt with a few issues.

Reaction score
I wonder if when they all do start using UEFI, if they'll just put a update out for it to replace the current bios or whether we'd need a new board to get it.Yeah, That and the X-Fi addon card were the only advantages Asus had with the Crosshair 4 Professional board over the MSI one I got. The only reviews on the Gigabyte 890FX board I came across was for the UD& Ibeliev, which you need a full tower case for. Mine has one more PCIe x16 slot than the Asus does. I may get a 2nd video card, after I upgrade the HD5770 I have now. I may get 2 of the HD6950's 2.0 gb. I was also thinking of a 2nd tv tuner down the road. The PlayOn program I have installed streams Hulu, Youtube, Podcasts, etc. to my Xbox 360 S/hdtv, which is cool. Basically the only thing my Xbox and tv lack is a web browser. I may eventually get one of them Ceton tuners after the price drops on them. I have a feeling the cable tv companies are going to rip people off on the plugin card for them, though. After all them and the phone comapnies all nickel & dime us to death.

Reaction score
P.S. MSI hasn't gotten back to me on my question about how to change the DRAM votage in the bios yet. Something somewhere else in the bios's Cell menu obviously needs to be changed 1st, before it will give you another option besides Auto for the DRAM voltage.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's weird how certain settings in the bios are enabled by the fail safe default and optimized defaul settings that really shouldn't be enabled. Both S1 sleep mode and 2.2TB Infinity get enabled in both, as does an eSATA drive get placed as 1st drive in the bootup options. Stupid, don't you think ? I also wonder when they're switching over to UEFI. From what I understand Asus is already using it.
Although my MSI is a notebook, some of the BIOS settings, I don't understand either. If I don't remove a flash drive (or backup one) from it after using, upon reboot, it displays that there's no OS on the drive to boot. So it's looking to boot from the USB drive first.

Also, there some kind of "performance settings" that I don't yet understand. By default, it's set at 32 bit. However, there's also settings for 64, 72, 96, 128 & 256 bit. But unless & until I know what I'm doing, I'm not changing anything.

Cat

Reaction score
Yeah Cat, that's just like them enabling 2.2TB Infinity by default, even when your hard drive isn't over 2.2 TB. and if you have your drives setup as AHCI, it BSOD's and says can't find MBR (Master Boot Record). With there defualt settings my 2.0 TB. external drive was useless, as it only showed up in Device Manager. Until I disabled that in the bios, nothing could see or use it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Their default BIOS settings is strange, that's for sure. The first chance I get, I need to change the boot order. No computer that I've used has looked for another source other than the internal HDD first.

I realize that a few more users now installs Windows 7 by USB drive, rather than DVD, it's actually a fantastic idea, as the install is faster. Still, this shouldn't be the default in the BIOS.

Cat

Reaction score
Hopefully UEFI is smarter in that area and that we don't need a different board to get it.

Ask a Question