12 crashes in 25 minutes!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Anna, since it's only 3 months old and it is self-built it's possible the hardware settings are not correct for it to run fully stable... reinstalling the OS won't fix a hardware problem. I have seen incorrect RAM settings appear to work fine, but errors are cumulative and take time to reach visibility.

I'd first suggest you make sure the RAM settings are at the correct frequency and voltages. As Nemesis says, don't use automatic settings! If you're not sure post the model RAM and the configuration you using for us. Ya can also create a bootable CD or flash drive with http://www.memtest.org/ to test your RAM for errors.

Reaction score
RAM

Anna, since it's only 3 months old and it is self-built it's possible the hardware settings are not correct for it to run fully stable... reinstalling the OS won't fix a hardware problem. I have seen incorrect RAM settings appear to work fine, but errors are cumulative and take time to reach visibility.

I'd first suggest you make sure the RAM settings are at the correct frequency and voltages. As Nemesis says, don't use automatic settings! If you're not sure post the model RAM and the configuration you using for us. Ya can also create a bootable CD or flash drive with http://www.memtest.org/ to test your RAM for errors.
Ram is two 4-GB Kingston KVR800D2K2 ... or do you need 9905429-008.A03LF?
Interesting, last time I tried starting, I just HAPPEN to notice in the device manager that it said I had 4GB of RAM, with only 3.25GB usable! hmmm. .....

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
The first number is what I needed, thank you! That is strange, the timings are not even mentioned on the store page and Kingston's site doesn't list the modules at all... I am not impressed!

32bit OS's can only address 4GB of memory... because other components in the computer have memory (such as the GPU), you really only have access to ~3-3.25GB of your 4GB of RAM. That's just a a limitation of the 32bit OS and not any sort of problem.

The memory requires 1.80v, should be running at 800Mhz, and to be safe should be set to 5-5-5-18 timings. Could you please enter the computer's BIOS and verify the settings match these? I presume the processor is at stock speed, too?

Reaction score
bios pics

Can you get pics of all your bios settings please. I've built quite a few amd systems and have seen similar issues to your caused biy the bios's auto settings not suiting the system. This can be easily recitifed by setting everything manually.

PICTURES ATTACHED ... sure hope they help!!

The details about the exact make and model of your RAM would also be useful.
RAM data in the subsequent post!

Attachments

Reaction score
This took some searching :D

Brand: Kingston
Model: KVR800D2K2/4GR
Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Capacity: 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed: DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency: 5
Voltage: 1.8V
UPC Code: 740617135152
Timing: 5-6-6-18-24 2T at DDR2 800 AND 4-5-5-15-20 2T at DDR2 667

Reaction score
RAM clarification

The first number is what I needed, thank you! That is strange, the timings are not even mentioned on the store page and Kingston's site doesn't list the modules at all... I am not impressed!

32bit OS's can only address 4GB of memory... because other components in the computer have memory (such as the GPU), you really only have access to ~3-3.25GB of your 4GB of RAM. That's just a a limitation of the 32bit OS and not any sort of problem.

The memory requires 1.80v, should be running at 800Mhz, and to be safe should be set to 5-5-5-18 timings. Could you please enter the computer's BIOS and verify the settings match these? I presume the processor is at stock speed, too?
Sorry - my bad. I meant two 2-GB RAM chips - the invoice says PC6400 DDR2, 2x2048; UPC# is 740617135152, if that helps.

Reaction score
This took some searching :D

Brand: Kingston
Model: KVR800D2K2/4GR
Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Capacity: 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed: DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency: 5
Voltage: 1.8V
UPC Code: 740617135152
Timing: 5-6-6-18-24 2T at DDR2 800 AND 4-5-5-15-20 2T at DDR2 667
I probably sound stupid, but I don't know where to manually enter memory settings in the BIOS. There are several enable/disable/auto configurations, but i'm not seeing anyplace to enter numerical data.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hey Anna. When you enter the BIOS click Advanced. Near the end of the page ya should see "DRAM Timing Mode", and change this to manual. You should then be able to input the settings I suggested above.

Reaction score
RAM timing

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and post back the results. Don't know how I missed seeing "advanced" before.

Reaction score
memory configuration

under "advanced" (I HAD seen that ... and I think there is a screenshot of it in a prior post zip file), and under "memory configuration" the only choices I have are:

bank interleaving (auto/disable)
channel interleaving (XOR of address bit/disabled/address bits 6/address bits 12)
enable clock to all DIMMs (disabled/enabled)
memclk tristate C3/ATLVID (disabled/enabled)
memory hole remapping (enabled/disabled)
DCT unganged mode (always/auto)
power down enable (disabled/enabled)

no such option pertaining to memory timings.

Reaction score
hidden configuration

thanks! memory TIMMING (misspelled in BIOS!! :D ) was hidden behind another "configuration" that I had to click on first.

Reaction score
do I leave all those sub-items on "auto" or are some of them supposed to be where I put in those 5-6-6-18-24-2T numbers?

Reaction score
also, under this sub-list is "memory clock mode" -- should that be left on "auto"? the manual alternatives range from 200-533MHz, chosen by toggling through.

Reaction score
Ok, set the memory clock to 400.

Then

Tcl 5
Trcd 6
Trp 6
TRAS 18
Trc 20

If there's one for command rate set that to 2T

Last edited:
Reaction score
awesome - thanks! now - when i switched to "both" it gives me all those choices TWICE; do i enter those same numbers both times? or do i leave the second set at "auto"?

Reaction score
Why does it ask twice?

Does it allow you to set the timing per module or channel?

P.S.
I've never had to change memory timings.
It allows you to set timings per channel :) There's normally the choice of DCT0,DCT1 or Both

As for never having to change your memory timings, I guess your just lucky :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
so far so good

To both sets please...
i set timings on both sets about 12 hours ago, and i have been running without a crash ever since. i let it sleep ... which seemed to be an issue before (wouldn't wake up); shut down and rebooted, and that worked too. installed a couple of programs and that worked as well. we'll see how long it lasts. i'm going to withhold calling it "fixed" until a couple of days go by, since it ran about a day and a half earlier before another series of multiple crashes occurred. thanks again - to everyone - for their help! what would guys like us do without you?!?

Ask a Question