ZInstall - Anyone Used it to Migrate from XP to Windows 7?

Reaction score
You may consider to use WET (windows easy transfer) and PickMeApp: two free solutions to migrate from XP to Windows 7. WET may transfer your XP program settings to Win 7 while portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from XP to Windows 7. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs.

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get the program to work and they didn't honor their guarantee. I don't recommend them.

Reaction score
Not happy with their support at all, right from the get-go suggesting we pay for premium support. They never called back until I emailed several times. Then they called and rude person who kept telling me only answer what he's asking (even though he kept referring to the program I am having issues with by another name), just very, very rude. Told me to solve printing problem by using cute pdf. Well, that is not recognized by the DOS program that was working fine on XP and 80% downtime since zinstall migration. Stay away from them.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This thread has been dead for about 3 years so the original participants may no longer be around. I've never tried ZInstall but a quick search for reviews of the product would have steered me away: the flowery positive reviews seem fake and the negatives seem more detailed and trustworthy. ZInstall claim's to have a money-back guarantee if they can't solve the problem so you should document your issue and see if you can recover your money; but from what I read they don't honor that promise either. Hopefully you paid by credit card as your best bet is probably filing a complaint with your credit card company.

What version and bit-size W7 did you upgrade to? What is the name/version of the DOS program?

DOS programs are pretty much non-existent any more. Windows no longer runs on a DOS platform, now DOS is actually just simulated in a command window. Unless this is a classic DOS game I would say it is time to replace your software.

Reaction score
It's actually a billing program for legal community and it is DOS based....other than that I would have steered clear of even trying to move the program over at all.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you print to your printer from the rest of Windows 7? Basically I want to be sure it is the program that is the issue, as it could well be the printer. Often in these upgrades you may find there are NOT 64-bit drivers for your hardware and it cannot work without drivers.

So if you could tell us what version of W7 (Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate) and Bit-size (32-bit or 64-bit) and also the make and model of the printer?

If it would turn out to be a lack of printer support for a 64-bit OS then your choice would be to get a new printer or reinstall but this time using W7 32-bit.

Reaction score
I believed the hype they put out about their program, here is the deal. Their program, Zinstall, does nothing once it is installed. it doesn't migrate any files, folders, or programs. All it does is allow you access to XP from there you have to physically drag and drop everything yourself. If you look in the console tree in windows 7 you will note that it is totally different than in windows XP, drag and drop can be a big problem because if you don't do it right, a lot of programs will not open or you will lose a lot of .dll files and they wont open at all. Here is the real kicker; if you try to get your money back from them the first thing they do is openly accuse you of INTERNET FRAUD and report you to, as in my case, Pay Pal, which I used to purchase their program. They are unsavory to say the least to do business with. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM.

DONT DO IT!! THE PROGRAM DOESN'T MIGRATE ANYTHING.

They have made me mad also, I for ONE do not like being called someone who does INTERNET FRAUD, The product doesn't work but they do not refund your money. They owe me $149.00 that they ripped me off for.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Legion, I realize you are upset but I merged all of your posts into a single one. You are the purchaser and Paypal tends to protect the buyer, simply make sure you reply on time to ZInstalls disputes of your claim.

That being said, always doubly insure your Paypal purchases by doing it via a credit card (and if it is a debit/credit card use funding choices to pay via the credit card network)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Product does what it says ie sets up a virtual o/s (XP within Windows 10) thus allowing all files and programmes to "co-exist" on a Windows 10 BUT does have a few glitches which they seem unable or unwilling to address. So previous comments are valid and certainly experienced rudeness and just plain zilch response from their Tech Support.

Reaction score
Very rude and they don't stand by their product; they even threatened me when I told them I don't like their tone when dealing with a woman - and they're very condescending. Then they went and did an internet search and emailed me the info (happened to be someone with same name as me but wasn't me) and threatened all kinds of things. They DO NOT stand behind their product despite what they claim; and we had issues with the program itself. I do consider myself a geek having made a living at it for 25+ years so I knew what they were saying is BS as far as what "I" did wrong.

Ask a Question