SOLVED XP Mode won't start

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on a Quad Core Q6600 CPU with 8 GB of RAM (See below for exact specs). My BIOS hashttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1962-63-mode-machine-status-remains-powered-down# virtualisation activated but I can't get XP Mode to launch. During the setup routine I can only get to the point where I have to click on "Start Setup". After that the program disappears.

If I look at the processes list in the task manager I see VPC.exe and VPCWizard.exe running but that's it. When I start Windows Virtual PC I see XP Mode as a virtual machine but the status is "Powered Down".

BTW, the BIOS is set to default. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated. There is absolutly nothing on the subject online which makes me feel like I'm the only one in the world that has this problem :-(((

--------------------------------------------------------
My machine has the following configuration:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2400MHz S775 8MB Box 105W
GPU: 512MB Asus GF EN8600GT Silent/HTDP, PCIe
MoBo: EVGA 780i
BIOS: p08
RAM: 4x 2GB Mushkin
HDD1: HITACHI DeskStar T7K500 500GB SATA II
HDD2: HITACHI DeskStar T7K500 250GB SATA II
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W / SLI-Ready / Active PFC

Reaction score
' XP facility' needs to be downloaded.

Cottonbean,

I am looking at getting Ultimate OS, andon the MS adverts is states ' XP facility' needs to be downloaded.

Reaction score
Did you download the right versions (64 bit) of XP Mode & Virtual Machine?
XP still only runs in 32 bit, but there are differences in the installation packages.

Reaction score
Are all of your chipset drivers installed? I managed to set everything up except for those and wasnt able to get XP mode to work until I installed the chipset drivers.

Perhaps XP mode got corrupted while you were downloading the installer. Its happened to me before with large files, even on the high speed connection I have at work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Problem solved

I learned from someone on another forum that it could be the webcam driver (of all things) He had the same problem as I and suggested I reinstall. I looked at my webcam configuration and noticed that there was a Sonix driver active, although I did install the cam from the original CD. I then disconnected my hardware and reinstalled Windows 7 whilst disconnected from the internet. I immediately installed XP Mode, booted it and was overjoyed to see it working. BTW, that was something I hadn't done in the 2 or 3 times that I'd installed Windows 7 before. I had always installed the entire computer before installing XP Mode.

After seeing that it worked, I then commenced to install all my hardware and software, booting XP Mode after every software or driver install to make sure it was still working. Now I have everything on my machine working perfectly and am over the moon!!

PS.
I still haven't installed my webcam as I'm worried that it will stuff everything up again. I'll have to live without it for the time being.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Ask a Question