Wont Complete Boot

Reaction score
My PC does not complete the boot cycle, since yesterday it takes a long time to start or to shut down. Today it will boot up to the Win 7 logo but will stop there. Yesterday it did the same thing so I let it run & it finally did boot up after 20 mins or longer. I have the 2 Rescue disks & tried both and made a new one from a site recommended on a similar topic. Still only going to the logo & the logo fades in & out slowly but no farther. That's 3 repair discs so far. I'm now going to try #4, the Avira exe disc to see if that will load.

If this disc doesn't work should I try the Win 7 disc? Will it dump everything or just fix it using the repair option?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
rgh, once you burn the W7 HP SP1 DVD then reboot your computer to it and when it gets to the install screen it should detect a current installation and offer the repair option in the bottom corner (left corner if I recall correctly).

Reaction score
Is the disk I burnt the same as my original dos disk with the serial #?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just for clarification, there is no such thing as a DOS disk any more; W7 simulates DOS in a command prompt.

But anyway, I have no way of knowing what you had originally. If it came from Dell, Sony, etc with your computer then NO. If you had to create it from your new computer when you first started then again NO. Those are OEM. They may also only be recovery discs and the actual W7 may be on a hidden partition on your HD. This is a non-OEM full install DVD. Also if your DVD is over a year old then NO because this includes Service Pack 1 which can save you up to 6 hours in windows updates over a non-SP1 edition, should you ever use it for a complete reinstall. Basically these are the latest and greatest Microsoft originals.

However if your real question is, can I use the disk I already have. The answer to that is yes, you should try it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My typing skills are somewhat suspect & I obviously don't do a great job of proofreading, that should have been OSP. I bought the disk at a discount (Fry's) price at 12:01am the day it hit the store. They opened at Midnight so I saved I think $30.00 on the cost. That was the question and now for the answer to the not booting up problem.

Some time ago my WD my book quit so I got the bright idea of seeing if the HD was the problem or something else, maybe I could recover the files. I took it apart and hooked it to an old PC & found it Ok so I got the files back. Sometime later I upgraded my PC & added a 1TB HD so I got the bright idea of installing the 250 WD into my PC but I had to get an adapter as it was not e sata. Seemed like all was working fine for the last few months but recently I have noticed that my PC was operating funny. Wasn’t sure what part wasn’t so yesterday it really went south and today it wouldn’t boot only to the Win & Logo no farther. I tried many things today to fix it & nothing worked, even the original Win 7 disk trying Repair did not work. So I took the cover off to clean it and add a new fan. Just before that I decided to unhook the WD drive. During this I had to start it to see if the new fan was OK & when I started it I heard the boot up beeps. So I took it back to the desk and hooked it all back up and you will never guess what. I had spent the last four hours doing a 10 min job. It is now just fine. Don’t know it was the adapter or the WD HD that had caused the problem but for curiosity’s sake I will hook up the WD to my old PC to see if the drive is ok.

As they say don’t overlook the simplest things!!!

Ask a Question