Wireless netowrk icon

Reaction score
A few people have had this problem and I havn't come accross a solution yet. I am connected to my router wirelessly with no probs getting on the net however the icon does not show a connection. My first thought is that I need to change the wired icon to off and put the wireless icon to on but, if that's the problem, I dont know how to do that in Windows 7. Here's a screenshot. Also another drama, I was using my movies on vista which ripped and streamed in video_ts files to my xbox 360. After installing windows 7 the movies application shows and plays the files fine but when on the 360 the movies app shows no movies in the library. These are my two dramas any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Reaction score
After looking at the pic my main drama is the small icon in the taskbar showing no bars.

Reaction score
Hi Boomer

Look under
Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings

What are you showing for Network Devices?
Could you take a screen shot for us to see exactly what you have listed there?
You stated you was connected wireless. Is this the only connection you have to the router?

Edit:
From this window you can right click for options to enable or disable your network devices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes from this computer I only have the wireless connection to the router. Off the router I have one xbox 360, dont really know why it shows two, an old xp machine (loungeroom) and a NAS (DNS-323)

Attachments

Reaction score
tried enabling and disabling the devices and it still showed an x over the icon. However I just opened the window that opens when you click on the connection icon in the bottom right and it showed a connection for a split second. I have a wireless n router and had 3-4 bars on vista so the signal strength should be registering.

Reaction score
Network shows the resources that are available to you through your network not the devices that are installed.
Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings

Reaction score
Hmmm very weird. It's all working now. I just persisted doing the same things. Different combos of restarting the computer, restarting the router, trying to connect to the network. The trouble was that I would put in the correct network key (I even changed it a couple of times) and it would say it was the wrong one and say that it wasnt able to connect but hey presto it would connect but with the problems I had. I just tried with WPS and it said it wasn't able to connect to the network but about the fifth time in a row of doing the same thing it all seems fine. Freakin computers.

And it justdropped out again back to the way it was originall dang nammit!!!

Heres the pic anyway.

Reaction score
Thats what I suspected, It looks as if Windows is trying to use the Wireless connection 2 that you have disabled. The fact that it has a 2 behind the name suggest that it was the last wireless connection installed. Windows would be programmed to use the last connection made.

I would remove both wireless connections and start over. There should only be one wireless connection for your device.

Reaction score
Thanks very much that worked. I just installed windows seven and am still finding my way around. I was wondering why there were two connections and wasn't sure whether it was something new to do with the operating system or not. But hey, thanks again

Reaction score
Just to more of a noob to forums how the hell do I thank you and make this thread solved??

Last edited:
Reaction score
To thank someone there should be a green button in the lower right of each post in the thread.

To mark the thread solved, The thread starter or a moderator can toggle the thread solved or unsolved by using the "Thread Tools" in the blue bar at the top of the thread.

Ask a Question