SOLVED Windows XP partition on my Mac

Reaction score
Last month I thought of making some extra space for windows 7 partition on my Mac. What I did was I backed up my windows data and then deleted my windows partition from Disk utility. I then tried to re size the deleted partition from 20Gb to 30Gb but the operation failed with this error.
“The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.”

I googled this error and found that this may possibly be solved using Disk Degfragmentation. One person also suggested that backup all your heavy movie files, delete them and then do the resizing
. Well to me that’s certainly is a little dumb solution. The possible cause to this problem can be the messy data blocks on Hard Disk which during partition cannot be shifted using Disk utility.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
.......what?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh great. The poster edited his post with something understandable...

Well, from the look of your post, this should rather be asked on a Mac forum.
I don't know howto do this on a Mac, but I suggest you format cleanly the Windows partition, then resize it, and finaly reinstall Windows 7 on it.

Ask a Question