Windows updates without net connection

Reaction score
Im having trouble with auto updates. Win7 keeps downloading and installing updates. Im baffled how its doing it cause its not connected to the web lol. But since it started doing it no programs will run at all. Ive now got microsoft works which wasnt on there when i bought the pc last week. I didnt install it. It downloaded it in updates. But as i said i havent connected it to a modem yet or set up a net account. Whats going on?

Reaction score
Intriguing! Didn't you see the feature list of Windows 7 that included "Magic"? ;)

But seriously, if your PC is never connected to the net, then it's not coming from the net. But you knew that. Is it a new PC? Could it be bloatware that self-installs?

Cheers!
Greg [MSFT]

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Even were it coming from the net, works has never been an isued update. Does anyone share your computer, out of your sight?
(presumably you are posting on another computer?)

Reaction score
Im having trouble with auto updates. Win7 keeps downloading and installing updates. Im baffled how its doing it cause its not connected to the web lol. But since it started doing it no programs will run at all. Ive now got microsoft works which wasnt on there when i bought the pc last week. I didnt install it. It downloaded it in updates. But as i said i havent connected it to a modem yet or set up a net account. Whats going on?
Could be getting the files from the Hidden partition on your harddisk where there is a backup copy of the OS and supplied software ?

Is the PC a Dell - These normally have Works pre-loaded unless you customize and order M$ Office or a no software installed option ?

What do you mean by not working - is the HDD activity LED on all the time and it looks like nothing is working every time you start the PC ?
If so, I think its to do with the Automatic Updates Service.

Reaction score
Its an acer pc. I can see an icon on the task bar that says its downloading windows updates and how much its completed. When its finished it tells me to restart the pc. When i did restart it had 2933 updates. As soon as i got back into windows it started downloading updates again. Thats all its doing all the time when its turned on. Even my anti virus software is doing it as well. When i try to open a program it says system is to busy try again later. It only started doing it today. It wont let me play any games. It says fatal error when i try to start them. Ive but run compatibility tests and put them on xp mode which got 1 game working but the other games wont work at all. They did till today. I did a factory reset but it didnt help. Its got a 1tb hard drive but iv looks like 2 hard driver os is on 1 everything else is on the other. Ive been using windows since 3.1 ive never had as many probs as im getting now. If the pc wasnt on hp i would take windows7 off and go back to windows 2000 it was a damn site easier to use. Dont look as good but at least i could fix probs with it.

Reaction score
Its an acer pc. I can see an icon on the task bar that says its downloading windows updates and how much its completed. When its finished it tells me to restart the pc. When i did restart it had 2933 updates. As soon as i got back into windows it started downloading updates again. Thats all its doing all the time when its turned on. Even my anti virus software is doing it as well. When i try to open a program it says system is to busy try again later. It only started doing it today. It wont let me play any games. It says fatal error when i try to start them. Ive but run compatibility tests and put them on xp mode which got 1 game working but the other games wont work at all. They did till today. I did a factory reset but it didnt help. Its got a 1tb hard drive but iv looks like 2 hard driver os is on 1 everything else is on the other. Ive been using windows since 3.1 ive never had as many probs as im getting now. If the pc wasnt on hp i would take windows7 off and go back to windows 2000 it was a damn site easier to use. Dont look as good but at least i could fix probs with it. Im the only person that uses it cause i live on my own. I use my mobile for internet cause its cheaper and faster. Ive turned off auto updates and anti virus with stops it from trying to download all the time but now i keep getting msgs popping up telling me to turn them back on. It closes programs ive opened saying i have to turn updates on to use the pc. So i cant win lol. Ive heard from other ppl on a chat site with the same prob. Some ppl say windows7 is great and no probs but ive heard a lot more ppl say their having trouble. I never used vista so cant say if its better or worse. But xp was a lot better and faster. But still think 2000 is the best ive used.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to wipe the hard drive clean and do a clean install instead. Your PC is totally gone bonkers!

That's what I would do. Set your primary boot drive in the BIOS to the DVD and put in your install disk and start fresh from scratch. Be sure you download all the drivers you may need though.

Wipe out all the partitions you may have and start fresh! Since you have a 1TB hard drive I would set up a 64GB partition for the OS and the rest as another partition. Then install Windows 7 on the 64GB partition. Windows 7 will automatically create a 100MB MBR partition and the begin installing on the 64GB partition.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Go to network properties and see if you are inadvertently leaching
off of someones unsecured WiFi connection.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go to network properties and see if you are inadvertently leaching
off of someones unsecured WiFi connection.
That was my first thought, but when he said this:
When i did restart it had 2933 updates
I didn't think that it was rogue connection, because that is WAY TOO MANY updates, for any version of Windows.

Ask a Question