SOLVED Windows recovery

Reaction score
When booting an error is encountered, I didn't write it down, and she requests I insert the W7 Installation Disk to correct problem, file missing maybe. The computer was hung processing and 'not responding' when she was turned off not in a recommended method. I don't have an W7 Installation Disk nor do I have a recovery disk.

What can I do? The computer was new from a chain last year, it did not com with an Installation Disk. I didn't create a recovery disk either.

Thanks in advance for reading this post.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Download and burn a copy of W7 w/ SP1 on another computer (be sure to get the same version you have installed).

Reaction score
I downloaded the w7 iso.

My original error is 0xc000000f The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I attempted to boot from the dvd file x17-24209.iso several times via Boot Menu F12 option and set the boot device to be my DVD drive. Always the result is the same error.

There is something I don't know that I need to know, Any suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How did you burn the ISO to DVD? What burn software did you use? When you look at the DVD's contents does it only contain a single .ISO file or is there a Setup.exe file?

If there is only a .ISO file then the image was not burned properly. (See how HERE. Links to IMGBurn are available in our freeware DB.)

If there is a setup.exe then try running it to see if it starts from inside Windows; if so then it's not the DVD itself.

If setup.exe runs when tested above then ...
What it sounds like is the drivers for your actual DVD drive are not being loaded correctly into memory when you use the Boot Menu option. What you might try instead is to go into your BIOS and set the boot order there making the DVD drive first.

Another question ...
Do you have multiple OSes on your machine, for example Linux, or is W7 the only OS on your machine? Multi-boot systems can have their own issues which is why I ask.

Reaction score
I burned the DVD per your suggestion to use IMGBURN. It worked great. Thanks

I think a great grand father should be on the couch instead of fixing grown daughter's OOPS. Instead of me making OOPS.

W7 is the only system. I now have created an even bigger problem. I was formatting my hard drive, it finished. Then cmd of 'for' appeared I hit enter OOPS. Tried to stop it. It went downhill from there. Now booting from the DVD she hangs when starting windows. When I let her attempt to boot I get a disk read error.

Is there a way to fix my hard drive? It was OK until the format.

A long the way it indicated I needed to run 'chkdsk'. I am having a senior moment. HELP.

Now BOOTMGR is missing.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For no Bootmgr; set your BIOS to boot to DVD and boot to the DVD and try repair, if available (I've read you may have to try it up to 3 times before things are fixed).

However, if you formatted the HD, or started to, then there probably won't be a repair option; you will likely have to reinstall the OS, and you should choose the with HD format option.

Reaction score
Thanks trainableman I have made it through my original problem so on to the next

Ask a Question