Windows Explorer problem

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, in your opening post the screen is cropped. On the left the start orb is missing and on the right half of the gadgets, a notification icon and the date/time are all missing. These last two photos show all of that just fine.

So everything I was suggesting is worthless - your drivers are working just fine for a full-screen display.

Reaction score
Nothings worked

Nothings worked. I don't believe it's my drivers. I have AMD/ATI 109 Display Drivers
7b and all other drivers are up to date according to DriverAgent. I ran a web scan with it, before I originally posted here about the problem. I also ran NIS 2011 and Malwarebytes free in Safe Mode after updating them in normal mode. No malware found by either. Ran Norton Power Eraser and it comes up clean also. As does HijackThis! and uploading results to hijackthis.de/en. l
When I say position I meant all four corners will be exactly where they were. I didn't specify a single corner (generally when coding an application, the upper-left) so X and Y displacement from that corner (what I presume you call size) didn't need to be stated but if you wish then, yes "position and size".

Some members here, not just you tushman, like to give advice without telling the person why or what it will do or is expected to accomplish. I, and likely many readers, like to know what it is, rather than following blindly, so I offered a simple explanation for anyone reading who didn't know. If all you are trying to do is add extra detail then perhaps you could do it without quoting me because you rub me the wrong way and I take it as a back-handed way of saying I am wrong with your nit-picking. If you want to explain your reasons or what your solution does then you should do so but don't "get on me" as if I'm wrong when I at least offered more information than you bothered to provide.

In this situation I really need input back from the poster because if that is just a cropped screen-shot rather than full-screen then it needs to be stated because it sent my thinking in one totally different direction than you others. Wake up BRKKAB! Don't be sleeping when I need answers :p

& Brbkab, if that is a cropped screenshot rather than the full-screen then don't do any of the things I suggested to your drivers; try Tushman and Clifford's ideas.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct it is NOT your drivers - I was going down a totally different thought process based on the cropping of the original screenshot.

You can position and size the window to any position and height/width you like. Is it that you don't understand how to drag the window back onto the screen? If you do know then disregard this, it is not meant as an insult, it is just meant to be detailed...
If part of a window is off the screen to the left then grab the right edge of the window (left mouse click and hold) and shrink the width of the window (move it towards the left). Then go up to the center of the windows title bar and (being careful not to shake it several times right and left as this is another feature) simply left mouse click and hold and pull the window back into view. If the window hangs over the bottom do something similar but in this case up and down. Once you have all the edges of the window within the viewable screen - then left-click on each edge in turn and hold to drag it out as far as you want it. Then save the window size and position as Tushman instructed ...

Hold down the Ctrl button [as] you hit the red 'X'. When you re-open Windows Explorer, it should open back up to the size you just had it.
On mine I don't even have to hold ctrl, it remembers every time I move it, but it didn't hurt anything when I did hit ctrl so it's worth a try.

But anyway, in your last screenshots the windows were not off the edge of the screen so please explain how it is displaying differently than you want (or it had in the past). Is there something showing that wasn't before, was it just in a different spot on your screen (this is fixed by dragging from the titlebar as described), or do you want icons instead of thumbnails or what. I am still confused what it is you want it to look like. You mention "Ridiculously small"; do you mean the edges of the window need moved out or are you saying that the font of all the words got bigger making it so that less fits inside the same-sized window? It looks to me like it is using a huge bold font which would limit how much info can be shown in the same amount of space. In XP changing the font size for titles and windows was easy and highly customizable but not so much in W7. Give this a try maybe .. Go to Control Panel \ Display and make sure it is set to "smaller".

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I say position I meant all four corners will be exactly where they were. I didn't specify a single corner (generally when coding an application, the upper-left) so X and Y displacement from that corner (what I presume you call size) didn't need to be stated but if you wish then, yes "position and size".
If you truly do come from a programming background, then you of all people should be cognizant/ aware that that computer nerds ("techs", "programmers", etc). do not THINK the same manner compared to your average joe blow user out there. (And I count myself as one of those nerds so heaven FORBID you take offense thinking I'm singling you out as a nerd. NO, simply to make a point that we are a different breed compared to average user). I will also say implying that you meant to say position infers the size are not very clear in your post. AT ALL. Take a look at your browser screen and tell me that the size & position of your window mean the same thing - they don't! If you have a window that is 3 x 4 it can be placed in the top left corner. That same window can be placed in the bottom right corner without affecting the size so don't tell me that you mean to say this or that whatever... what you inferred is your posting is NOT what you actually said.

If all you are trying to do is add extra detail then perhaps you could do it without quoting me because you rub me the wrong way and I take it as a back-handed way of saying I am wrong with your nit-picking.
How is that a back handed slap? You quoted me and said that the method I suggested remembers the position - I was just trying to clarify that it remembers the SIZE of the explorer window. The last time I looked in the dictionary the definitions for SIZE & POSITION are two different things.

I really don't know what your problem is. I suggest you take a long nap or lay off on the caffeine because you're getting your shorts in a twist over NOTHING. This is the 2nd time you've taken umbrage to some fake offense you've concocted in your brain. I've done nothing against you that would even be considered to being offensive. And quite frankly, it's tiresome.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You had already mentioned size in your post so maybe you felt I was "correcting" you when I used the word position but there was no need for me to repeat what you already said. If I look at it that way you could have the same negative feelings I then did to your reply but; I only meant to be adding more detail not negating what you offered. And it's possible that's all you mean as well but when I read your replies I do get a feeling (whether it's right or wrong) that they are typed with bias. Even your "If you truly do come from a programming background" comes off to me as challenging my knowledge. I have a B.S. in Computer Science and have been using some form of computer or another since 1980 (TRS-80s, Apple IIe, Commodore VIC-20, Sperry, Univac, and IBM Mainframes, and PCs w/ DOS, Win 3.1, 95, 98, XP, very little Vista, & W7.

So to be clear it remembers window "size and position" are what we both meant (I don't mean to assume that is what you meant but I do infer it from the conversation).

Also I haven't had any coffee, sodas or tea, or any of those caffeine shot drinks so my caffeine level would be extremely low and I just woke up 11 hours ago so sleep isn't an issue. But you are correct, I do take umbrage in your posts when you quote me whether it is your intention or my imagination and it will be difficult to change that feeling. I think everyone automatically adds a "tone" to what they read and because they can't actually hear the other voice it can be received incorrectly.

Hopefully I have addressed all your questions and not created any new ones and then with any luck we can solve BRKKAB's issue.

Reaction score
Is this a Chicago V PA thing? Sorry guys just felt I needed to lighten the mood a bit. ;-)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is then a Gino's Chicago-style deep-dish pepperoni pizza would solve everything at this end :) How do you feel about Philly cheesesteaks? :eating:

Reaction score
Love Philly Cheesesteaks

Love REAL Philly Cheesesteaks haven't had one since 92 when I lived in New Jersey 1/2 hour from Philly.
If it is then a Gino's Chicago-style deep-dish pepperoni pizza would solve everything at this end :) How do you feel about Philly cheesesteaks? :eating:

Reaction score
SOLVED

Thanks TrainableMan that one solved it Windows 7 and this pc are back to normal. Thanks everyone for your help.
You had already mentioned size in your post so maybe you felt I was "correcting" you when I used the word position but there was no need for me to repeat what you already said. If I look at it that way you could have the same negative feelings I then did to your reply but; I only meant to be adding more detail not negating what you offered. And it's possible that's all you mean as well but when I read your replies I do get a feeling (whether it's right or wrong) that they are typed with bias. Even your "If you truly do come from a programming background" comes off to me as challenging my knowledge. I have a B.S. in Computer Science and have been using some form of computer or another since 1980 (TRS-80s, Apple IIe, Commodore VIC-20, Sperry, Univac, and IBM Mainframes, and PCs w/ DOS, Win 3.1, 95, 98, XP, very little Vista, & W7.

So to be clear it remembers window "size and position" are what we both meant (I don't mean to assume that is what you meant but I do infer it from the conversation).

Also I haven't had any coffee, sodas or tea, or any of those caffeine shot drinks so my caffeine level would be extremely low and I just woke up 11 hours ago so sleep isn't an issue. But you are correct, I do take umbrage in your posts when you quote me whether it is your intention or my imagination and it will be difficult to change that feeling. I think everyone automatically adds a "tone" to what they read and because they can't actually hear the other voice it can be received incorrectly.

Hopefully I have addressed all your questions and not created any new ones and then with any luck we can solve BRKKAB's issue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hey I said a lot of stuff, which solved it?

Go to Control Panel \ Display and make sure it is set to "smaller" or something else?

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford

Thanks Clifford. Yourself and TrainableMan solved it for me. All's normal in Windows 7 now. Thanks guys.
I'm not understanding the question. It appears you are wondering why your window is now opening as a smaller window. Can you not resize the window by dragging the border across the screen?

I have had programs change in size while they were open during Windows Update or manually updating the graphics drivers. That is if your Graphics Adapter is one of windows updates. Windows must remove the old graphics driver to update with a newer one. Any open applications can be effected during a change in resolution which is often required in order to update.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you not resize the window by dragging the border across the screen?
This was actually the solution that Clifford was trying to offer back when I was still thinking the edges of your screen were cut off. But I'm glad I was able to expound upon it so that it worked for you. As he said, we are glad it is working.

Reaction score
Yeah

Yeah. I'm definitely glad it's back to normal. Thanks everyone.
This was actually the solution that Clifford was trying to offer back when I was still thinking the edges of your screen were cut off. But I'm glad I was able to expound upon it so that it worked for you. As he said, we are glad it is working.

Ask a Question