Windows 7 SP1 RTM due on Feb 16 for MSDN customers

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows 7 SP1 RTM due on February 16 for MSDN customers, Feb 22 for web.

Microsoft’s Windows 7 SP1 RTM will hit MSDN on February 16 WinRumors has learned.

Microsoft has informed close partners that SP1 has hit the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) milestone. MSDN and TechNet customers will receive the bits on February 16, followed by a general web release (RTW) on February 22. According to sources close to the matter, Microsoft sent out internal announcements to mark the RTM of Windows 7 SP1 in January. Russian site Wzor confirmed the RTM too and has leaked several versions of Windows 7 SP1 for various languages.

Microsoft has yet to announce the RTM milestone publicly. WinRumors previously asked Microsoft officials multiple times to confirm whether Microsoft had reached the RTM milestone for Windows 7 SP1 but company officials would only reply in January with “Microsoft has not released SP1 to OEMs at this time.” As always, we’d advise against installing leaked bits on production machines but at this time we’re confident build 7601.17514.101119-1850 is the final RTM. Copies of Microsoft’s Windows 7 SP1 RTM update leaked last month to file sharing websites. Microsoft is expected to announce the official RTM shortly, including the MSDN/RTW dates.

SP1 will include RemoteFX which provides rich 3-D graphical experience for remote users. The service pack also will include a series of incremental updates, previously released on Windows Update for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

RemoteFX is a new enhancement to RDP’s graphical remoting capabilities. The idea behind RemoteFX is to allow for a full remote experiences including multiple displays, Aero and multimedia streaming to all types of client devices including low cost thin clients. RemoteFX achieves this by using a technique known as host-based rendering. This technique allows for the final screen image to be rendered locally on the remote PC after being compressed and sent down to that remote host. The enhancements are expected to greatly improve video streaming across remote sessions which is currently one of the major drawbacks of virtualized computing.

Windows 7 recently celebrated its first birthday after selling over 240 million licenses in the first year of sales. Microsoft officials have previously promised that SP1 will be available by March 31, 2011. < (This is what I posted on the other thread about SP1 in a response to post from clifford_cooley.)

SOURCE

So the version of SP1 I have installed is apparently good because the version numbers jive: build 7601.17514.101119-1850 and this is what my system shows: 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
MORE INFO:

Microsoft announces Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 availability

By Windows Club| February 10th, 2011

Microsoft today announced the availability of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1.

Microsoft has officially handed off the final release (RTM) of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to its OEM partners.

The Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will be available for MSDN and TechNet Subscribers as well as Volume License customers, on February 16th 2011.

On February 22nd, Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will become generally available for all to download via the Microsoft Download Center and available on Windows Update.

For Windows 7, SP1 will help keep your PCs well supported by delivering ongoing updates, many of which have been made previously available through Windows Update.

It also includes client-side support for RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory which are two new virtualization features enabled in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, reports Windows Team Blog.

The Windows 7 SP1 FAQ and also the Windows 7 SP1 Whitepaper may also interest you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you feel that's necessary, or is it just a personal preference?
A fresh install is not needed for SP1. My system is due for a cleaning and a fresh start. I have been putting it off till the arrival of SP1.

I started to do a fresh install back when I received this GTS 450 but my DVD drive went out and after getting a replacement, I decided to wait till SP1.

Reaction score
Hello;
Is Windows7 SP1 RTM
the same file that was available in mid-January?
I noticed KB976932 & 903MB is the same listed as in February.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Hello;
Is Windows7 SP1 RTM
the same file that was available in mid-January?
I noticed KB976932 & 903MB is the same listed as in February.

It probably will be, we'll just have to wait and see though. From all what I have read on the various web sites there will not be a change.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nibs, I just checked, my version number of SP1 matched yours, so I hope that we're both OK.

c_c, this is the perfect time to clean install, should you need to do so. You're right in waiting for the release of it first.

For those who has Automatic Updates turned on, I highly suggest that you temporarily change your settings to notify when updates are available, as this will be time consuming, you don't want this to take place while you're doing important work. It's best to allow the upgrade to take place when you don't need the computer for a while, for example, at dinnertime. Some systems (especially low end 64 bit systems, any CPU under 2.0GHz, like mine) may take up to an hour to complete.

On the other hand, my single core 2.13GHz (Pentium M) 32 bit Win 7 Home Basic took only a little over 30 minutes to complete the install of SP1.

It's always better to be prepared and have a plan, rather than to be caught off guard. Things just goes smoother that way.

Cat

Reaction score
Thank you for the information and the reply.
I have a basic procedure.
1. Download the SP ISO.
2. Slipstream the SP.
3. Wait for Microsoft update site to install
on the computers.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
beamish - you're mistaken in a couple of areas regarding SP1.

First of all it comes in the form of an ".exe" or executable install, not an ISO format.

Second, you can slipstream into a DVD install but it is a lengthy process taking about 2 hours. You have to have the original ISO or install DVD, a installed version of RT7 Lite in the latest Beta because only the Beta will do the service pack integration and have also installed Windows A.I.K. pack* which is a 1.6 GB download ISO which must be burned to a DVD-RW or DVD-R disc prior to installing.

I know because I did it about two weeks ago. For the 64-bit version SP1 which is about 936 MB in size and then after slipstreaming to create an install DVD, the net result is an install DVD of about 3.68 GB in size.

After a fresh install of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated, the Windows Update site only suggested two downloads; one for Windows Defender updates and the other was Silverlight feature. That's it!

* - Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7 helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows® 7

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've always wondered what that "AIK" pack was for. It's in my downloads folder, been there for at least six months, but I've never used it. The next time that I install, I'll use it.

Cat

Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for replying.
I believe Windows7 SP1 .ISO was presented by http://www.thewindowsclub.com/,
on 01/16/2011. I believe it was issued for one day.
The .ISO could have come from another site, as I do a lot of downloading,
but I believe the above site is correct.

I used iso-burner.exe to change the file.

Then used http://www.rt7lite.com/ to slipstream.

Ask a Question