Windows 7 several BSOD --- NTOSKRNL.EXE

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I've been running several crashes in the last few days, mostly of them with the indication of BSOD ntoskrnl.exe problem.

I've just had a crash, but with no indication of BSOD though.

I ask for your help please, attaching the zip file with the last dump.

Thanks

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 Forums.

It looks like your CPU might be faulty.

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_PRV

BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_PRV
Please download and run Prime95 (Thanks to writhziden)

Prime95 Hardware Stress Testing Steps:
  1. Download Prime95.
  2. Navigate to where you saved the Prime95 files and unzip the files.
  3. Open Prime95 from the list, and then click Run in the dialog box if it opens.
  4. Click Just Stress Testing

5. Run Small FFTs, In-place large FFTs, and Blend for a few hours each. Report back if CPU temperatures reach dangerous levels, if the system crashes, or if hardware errors are discovered by the diagnostics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much Shintaro.

I've just downloaded Prime95 and started the tests. I'll come back when they're over.

Thanks again.

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Hi there,

So i've ran these tests, the "results.txt" file follows as an attachment. It seems everything is ok though.

I've been thinking, maybe my soundcard is the problem?
I'll explain: I usually keep my computer on over 24h, I mean, it keeps turned on by the night with utorrent sharing. But I've realized that I never had the computer freezed the next day when I wake up, everything is fine. I just face problems when I'm working on it, I mean, when I'm in front of it, doing something.
In the past few days, I've been facing a sound problem which goes like this: I'm listening/watching something in youtube. But if I pause it, then I can't get it playing anymore. First, I went rebooting the computer whenever this happens. But then, I took a look at Task Manager and I've discovered that if I stopped "audiodg.exe" process and then played the video again, it does play! Then, again, if I paused it again, I have to do this thing again.
And I've noticed that yesterday, when the last BSOD appeared, I was playing a DVD iso, and the crash happened while a chapter was moving to the next.
So I've passed this day with the sound turned off, to test if it has something to do with it. And guess what? Computer it has never crashed today (!)

May be the sound card that is making all the BSOD's? I think I will remove it and test with the onboard sound, to check if the computer stays stable.

I'll let you know later, but for now, as I've said before, the "results.txt" of Prime95 tests, follows as an attachment.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Was the onboard sound card disabled before you plugged in the Creative sound card?
Did you check for the latest Creative software?

Was the onboard sound card software uninstalled prior to installing the Creative software?

Also watch the temperature. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hmm I think it wasn't disabled, no. Because I could switch from the sound of the Creative soundcard to the sound of the onboard, I mean, I could choose where to plug the cable from my speakers and get sound either way.

But, by the highlight of the word "disabled" in your last post, I can notice that I should have turned it off, right? But it's strange, I have Windows 7 installed in my computer since middle August. And just in the last days I been runnign these problems. Shouldn't they have appeared by that time? I mean, I had all September and all October without any kind of trouble.

I am now running without the Creative soundcard since yesterday night. So far, so good, I mean, no troubles, no crashes. Later I'll get back here to tell you how is it going. And in the meanwhile, I will install HW Monitor too.

Again, thank you very much, for your patience, for your help, everything.

Cheers :)

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, but the Creative card is probably a far better sound card.
You might have been lucky that you didn't have any problems before. So if you intend on using the Creative card, Disable the on board sound and remove its software.

Let us know how you go.

Reaction score
So, in the last two hours, my computer freezed again and had to restart it. No BSOD though when it came up.

I conclude from this that the Creative soundcard it's not the problem.
Now I have installed it again, and disabled the onboard audio from BIOS (also, took the ride and disabled the onboard net adapter too).

But in the last freeze I've discovered another sad thing: when it freezed, I was about to push the reset button to restart the computer, but then I've remembered that I could install the Creative soundcard again. So, I went to the back of the computer, to unplug the power supply cable and I before I do that, I clicked the on/off button of the power supply itself. But nothing happened... I had to unplug the cable to turn off the computer (I could have pushed the power button in the front for 5 seconds, yes). After I've installed the Creative soundcard again, I plugged the cable and turned on the computer and tested the power supply button again. And nothing happened again :( Maybe it's the power supply the cause of it all? Oh well, this I have no way to replace, only buying a new one :(

Let's see how this go by now. I'll get back here later. Thanks again.

Cheers

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please update:

SiS RAID Stor Miniport Driver
http://www.sis.com/download/

Also I suggest that you run Driver Verifier.

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)
Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
Shintaro,

Yes, that is my motherboard and yes, it is too old (just like almost all my computer components) :)

BIOS was updated in mid August of the current year, when a friend of mine installed Win 7 on my computer. I had Win XP installed until then and by that time, I was unsure if my computer would support Win 7, but he guaranteed me that it would. And when he did it, he updated BIOS too, with the last version by then, which was from 22/08/2005. I've checked the link (which is the same where we download the update by then) and it seems to not have newer version.

What is the "SiS RAID Stor Miniport Driver"? I mean, I've checked the http://www.sis.com/download/ link but it doesn't open (404 - File or directory not found.The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable).
I went looking in my device manager for SiS RAID Stor Miniport to try to update it, but I couldn't found it anywhere.

And now I'm gonna run Driver Verifier. Being honest, I'm a little scared with the consequences (or possible consequences, detailed on the post you've quoted), but oh well, I'm going crazy here, my computer just freezed again and I'm tired of it. Let's go...

(file with the last minidump attached, again)

Thanks, cheers

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Driver Verifier will *hopefully* identify the problem driver.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again,

So I've followed all the steps of Driver Verifier post, and my computer (as expected) crashed 4 times after few seconds pos-reboot, presenting (now for real) a BSOD. In the 4 BSOD's (all equal, I think) I've noticed something in the Technical Information: a file called "atikmdag.sys". Maybe the problem it's on the Graphics card?

Next, I've rebooted in safe mode, and selected "Delete existing settings" as described.

I'll attach the 4 last minidump files (the file from the last one is the "111612-19546-01.dmp")

Greetings and, again, thanks for your patience and for your time.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
It looks like CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
So I suggest that you remove it and only have the drivers installed.

Borrowed from usasma

While the procedure below may appear daunting, just follow it one step at a time and it'll work for you. If you have any questions, just post them in the forums and we'll be glad to provide assistance.

NOTE: If you already have the ATI drivers installed, please use the Catalyst Uninstall Manager (in Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program) to remove all of the ATI video driver components. Be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!. Here's a link from AMD about removing graphics drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

1. Download the latest version of the Catalyst Software Suite from http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx .
  2. Double click on the downloaded executable file (it's name will look something like this: 12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe ).
  3. The installation will first stop at a screen which notes where the installation folder is (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ). Please make a note where this folder is located as you'll use it later on to install the drivers. Then click on Next/Install to continue with the installation.
  4. The installer then extracts the files to that folder and then launches the AMD Catalyst Install Manager. Click on "Cancel", then click on "Yes" to exit the AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
  5. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter when devmgmt.msc shows up at the top of the search box.
  6. In Device Manager, click on the +/> sign next to Display adapters.
  7. Right click on the display adapter and select "Update Driver Software".
  8. Select "Browse my computer for driver software. Locate and install driver software manually."
  9. Type (or paste) the location of the installation folder that you remembered from Step 3 (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ) into the search box and ensure that "Include subfolders" is checked - then click on "Next" in the lower right corner.
  10. Drivers will install (and screen may go black temporarily). System will then show a window that states "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" Click on "Close" in the lower right corner of the window (Screen may again go black temporarily).
  11. And you're done!!!

NOTE: If it says that the most current drivers are already installed - go back and uninstall all ATI video stuff (be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!). Then run the procedure from Step 5 again (the new directory from Step 3 should still be there).

Reaction score
Hi there Shintaro,

So here I am again, running my computer under the Driver Verifier again. And why? Because yesterday I went to control panel and uninstalled everything from ATI related. When I saw no ATI things anymore, I went thinking everything was OK (thinking only drivers were installed), and I didn't follow the steps of the post you've quoted.

And here I was, thinking everything was OK when... BSOD again, one hour ago (minidump file attached).

I've rebooted, and followed then the steps from usasma post. After that, I followed again the Driver Verifier steps and, here I am now, under its subjection (Driver Verifier), hoping a BSOD (as normal) which didn't ocurred yet. Signal of everything is finally OK? Let's see, I really hope so, if no BSOD in the next 36 hours, I will then reboot and select "Delete existing settings" from Driver Verifier and then reboot normally.

Again (and again) thank you for everything.

Cheers

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please keep us up to date.

CCC (Catalyst Control Center) can be good, but it causes a lot of problems.

Lets hope we have found the problem.

Reaction score
No, unfortunately the problem is not solved, BSOD again a few moments ago :(

I've attached the minidump file and will wait for your answer, but I'm thinking next I'll install "Revo Uninstaller" program to find and remove everything ATI related and then install the driver again.

(I have to remind that I'm still in the driver verifier mode)

Greetings

Attachments

Ask a Question