Windows 7 freezes on HD 500 GB Toshiba Satellite A205

Reaction score
Hi there...
this is my first post ever. I always find an answer for my problems in the different blogs but I don't seem to find the solution for my problem.
I've got a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4578, and I decided to buy a 500GB HD and put it inside the laptop instead of using an external HD since I work with Video editting and I thought it was easier for me to work like this.

Now, the problem is at first I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7, but I noticed after a while that it freezed ramdomly, and checking online, I realized that the best was to do a Clean Install. I did install it formatting the partition C, and it worked fine for a month and a half, and then the freezing began once again. I thought that it was due to a Syncronizer from my Tunsten C which I installed, and I tried to go back to an earlier restore point, but I couldn't, I tried different things even uninstalling the software, but the problem continued. I thought it was lack of updating, but after updating Windows 7, it still didn't work.
I decided to reinstall windows 7. I could work with the laptop for 2 more days and then the problem began again. I did another clean install without installing any windows update because I thought it could affect, but then I realized that at the very installation procedure it would freeze, and then the last time I tried and installed completely, and at the first reboot, I got a blue screen with a error... I don't remember the error number now. Then... I started checking online but the error only referred to hardware problems, or drivers problems. I don't understand a thing, because, since I couldn't install windows 7, I had to go back to Windows XP, and it works fine with this. This is what I am using now in the meantime,...

I would like to have Windows 7, somebody told me that my laptop can't take Windows 7, but I really don't think that that is the problem, I wonder what it is? Can anyone please help me? Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to this great web forum.

As I understand it you're now running XP and want 7. What you can do is use Killdisk to erase the drive and then install Windows 7. This assures no malware or other problems can find their way into your new 7 install when you do so. When you run into problems after, please follow the sticky in this section of the forum on how I can help you.

http://www.killdisk.com/

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG for your Quick reply..
Since I couldn't install Windows Vista on my 500 GB HD, I decided to install Xp, I don't have win7 installed. Since that happened I have that question and I want to see if there is any solution before I proceed to try again. I installed the CPU-Z and I have a txt file, I don't know how to attach it here...
I wonder if you can still help me like this, or I have to install Win 7 again.
I have the old 160GB HD with winxp on it. For anything...

Reaction score
Right, ya...there's really no way to tell what was going wrong with the Win 7 you had at this point.

You can install 7 if you wish after clearing the hard drive as I described. If you run into problem after, I'm fairly confident I can get the system stable for you with little effort. If there's another bsod that happens if and when you install and use it, I'll be able to fix that 99% guarantee.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, let me get working then.... but you don't think is a hardware problem? or a problem of the Hard Disk? Why on the installation procedure it freezes.. it hasn't even install Windows 7 yet? any idea? Can my laptop take windows 7? thanks..

Reaction score
Killdisk will erase anyother partitions? I have 3 partitions on my hard drive... should I make any backup first? or I could just do everything on C?

Reaction score
Killdisk will erase anyother partitions? I have 3 partitions on my hard drive... should I make any backup first? or I could just do everything on C?
As always, it's smart to have a backup. I tell that so I can't be blamed for any data loss...
but...it can work on only a single partition if you wish and you'll be safe. Basically what I'm saying is you can proceed without a backup on only a single partition if you want, with the above disclaimer by me. It's your choice.

Reaction score
Hi there.. I'm back.. I installed windows 7 64 bits, and I got 5 freezes since installation. I started the computer in save mode and I installed at first the wi fi drivers... so far no problem, I hope I can't finish writing to you before freezing again.

Reaction score
No, definitively I couldn't continue with windows 7, two freezes after I wrote to you, I took the 500 hd with windwos 7 out and I put the old hd 160gb with win XP, ... I was searching for the C:\Windows\Minidump folder, but it kept freezing... I wonder if I did wrong installing the 64 bits version, or if it happens with any of them... I don't really know what the problem is.

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't find the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. I don't know how to find the crashes

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How about drivers? Were you able to download and install the latest drivers for your Laptop?

Reaction score
The minidump folder is only created when a blue screen error occurs.

To diagnose the freezes you're getting, boot to safe mode + networking and try to find out if using the machine like this has the same symptoms.

You can also check the event viewer for possible clues. Open up Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools and double click on the shortcut labeled Event Viewer. Then have a look at Windows logs.

If you installed any kind of antivirus at all, uninstall it to test to see if that was the cause.

Based on your feedback, we'll see what we can do about things.

Reaction score
So far, I haven't installed anything yet... it didn't let me install the drivers.. then I thought that maybe it was the wifi driver, since everytime I tried to go online.. or download something.. then it would freeze... let me try in safe mode

Reaction score
ok, I'm back, I had to start on save mode otherwise I wouldn't have finished typing this post. This is the third time, I'm writing this, and every time it freezes. I'm sick and tired of this. I couldn't install some of the drives for win 7 64, so I had to install 32 bits. But It has freezes as many times as 64 bits. I don't get it... I definitively don't know what to do. It seems that on save mode it works. So far I haven't installed anything, just the drivers. do you think this has any solution? I wonder if the windows is good, or if I have to delete all the partitions. By the way I made the partitions with a WinXP installation CD, and then when done, I switch to the Win7 DVD... that was last year, the first time I installed it

Reaction score
I haven't had any problem so far working on safe mode (after 17 minutos), I've installed a couple of software, and I didn't have any problem.. I wonder what the problem is? I don't know, help please

Reaction score
It is either a driver or service, or software starting with the machine that is causing problems.

Please type msinfo32 into the start menu and hit enter, then use Ctrl + S on the screen that opens to save. Rar or zip the saved file and attach to a post.

In the meantime using Safe Mode + Networking, visit your laptop manufacturer's site and install all the latest drivers on offer for Windows 7 64-bit.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...A205-S4578&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

Reaction score
System info rar file

I'm back again. I schedulled an error-checking task for booting up today, and it froze. I installed now windows 7 32 bits because while installing the drivers for the win 7 64 bits, it said that I didn't have the minimal requirements. So I thought I had done wrong by installing win 64 bits. I installed all the windows 7 32 bits drivers that I downloaded from the Toshiba site. I don't get any yellow mark on the Device manager list. And yes, I had to boot up on save mode, or else I couldn't work, it keeps freezing.
Here is the attachment of the info

It is either a driver or service, or software starting with the machine that is causing problems.

Please type msinfo32 into the start menu and hit enter, then use Ctrl + S on the screen that opens to save. Rar or zip the saved file and attach to a post.

In the meantime using Safe Mode + Networking, visit your laptop manufacturer's site and install all the latest drivers on offer for Windows 7 64-bit.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...A205-S4578&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

Attachments

Reaction score
Please go to the start menu in safe mode + networking, all programs then startup folder. Delete these:

Code:
[B]Installer[/B]    installer.exe    GPorras-PC\Gabriel Porras    Startup
[B]Installer2 [/B]   installer2.exe    GPorras-PC\Gabriel Porras    Startup
[B]Installer3[/B]    installer3.exe    GPorras-PC\Gabriel Porras    Startup
[B]Installer4[/B]    installer4.exe    GPorras-PC\Gabriel Porras    Startup
[B]Installer5 [/B]   installer5.exe    GPorras-PC\Gabriel Porras    Startup
Download, install and run Malwarebytes to search for any malware.

Install the latest audio driver from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Then boot to normal mode and see how it is going.

If you have obtained your Window(s) copy(ies) from anywhere other than official source, this might be a cause of problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm checking the Event viewer and I see at the Administrative Events almost 100 errors, and most of them has to do with Service Control Manager, and very few with, Distributed COM and EventLog. Kernel Power errors appears "Critical". In Windows Logs/applications the errors are from System restore, Sidebyside, LoadPerf, VSS. I hope this info helps.

Ask a Question