Windows 7 boot files missing, where can I find them.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently installed windows 7 on a new HD and ripped out my old vista HD and formated it. Upon restarting, my windows 7 HD is not bootable. I'm guessing all the boot info was on the vista HD. Anyone know where I can get boot files from, or how to create new boot files? I might add, I have hirens 10 with minixp so I can boot the system and view/edit some files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I found an answer after even more searching.

"What I did was I just went to reinstall Windows in the same directory. Then when it did the copying of the image and went to reboot for the install, I noticed it showed me the boot menu to go back to Windows 7. So what I did was I stopped the installation from that point and I booted Windows 7. Went to the local disk and deleted the startup files in %Windows_temp folder and then did MSCONFIG selected the Boot tab and removed the setup from the bootmenu. "

from this forum http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/574-boot-record-fix-anyone.html. I ended up starting that process but I went to the bathroom while it was expanding files and it restarted and finished the install. No biggie, I just installed a couple days ago. Well hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Reaction score
I tried startup recovery but the problem was no windows installation was found because my boot files were on the vista hard drive and I had just formatted it. I do tech repair an those recovery tools will help a lot. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi splatter85

You maybe interested in How To Make Bootable USB.

I made a Windows 7 64-Bit Repair stick myself with a 1GB storage. It would probably work with 250MB sticks too. Basically you marking the stick active with a ntfs format. Then copying all the data from the CD to make it bootable with the vista bootmanager.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I tried startup recovery but the problem was no windows installation was found because my boot files were on the vista hard drive and I had just formatted it. I do tech repair an those recovery tools will help a lot. Thanks!
Hi splatter85

Startup Repair here > https://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html would have installed the MBR, i did it on a customers PC yesterday (He had dual boot), Windows 7 on his 2nd HDD XP on his 1st HDD using Easy BCD he deleted the first boot option within Easy BCD but that left the MBR on the 1st HDD and his OS on the 2nd HDD i disconnected the 1st HDD abd ran Startup Repair to install the MBR to the 2nd HDD, then made the Drive boot disk via BIOS, now Windows 7 is all on one HDD and running fine.

Customers HDD config

Last edited:

Ask a Question