Windows 7 and Flash Player

Reaction score
I'm new to Windows and I bought a hp 62-144DX notebook. I tried to install Flash Player, but was informed that it can only work on a 32-bit system!! I tried to download Firefox and Chrome, but was warned by Norton not to do so. What can I do now in order to view streaming videos? The sales guy at Best Buy was told that watching videos was quite important to me. :mad:

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have a freind who uses teamspeak and it did not support 64 bit, but the 32 bit version ran fine. Norton will always warn you when installing new software whether it is safe or not. Let me get back to you on this.

found this: http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/1879-flash-player-64bit-ie.html

it looks like the best recommendation is installing a 32 biut version of IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have the option of running a 32 bit browser on your 64 bit OS. By using Internet Explorer 32 bit, it will take the 32 bit Flash Player.

Go to All Programs in the Start menu....... it will list IE Explorer 64, and IE Explorer. The one with "64" obviously is the 64 bit browser, the other one is 32. Select the 32 bit browser and install your Flash Player and you're in business.

Reaction score
Thanks Dallas and Charlis. However, the 32-bit IE cannot connect to the internet!! Also, I tried to download Firefox and Chrome, but was warned by my Norton program not to use it as I was among the first to try it and its reliability was not established. Norton recommended that I remove those browswers.

Reaction score
Thanks Dallas and Charlis. However, the 32-bit IE cannot connect to the internet!! Also, I tried to download Firefox and Chrome, but was warned by my Norton program not to use it as I was among the first to try it and its reliability was not established. Norton recommended that I remove those browswers.
zavit sorry I can't explain the internet conection problem, but I can definitely say that others here on the forum are using the 32 bit browser on their 64 bit system in order to fix the Adobe Flash problem. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on your connection problem, but the 32 bit browser is the answer to the Flash Player.

Also, here's Adobe's statement on the subject:

"Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system."

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 32 bit 7 though. I could use 64, but I don't want to have compatability issues.

Reaction score
I have 32 bit 7 though. I could use 64, but I don't want to have compatability issues.
There is not a choice with the 32-Bit OS. For any 64-Bit applications you must first have the 64-Bit OS. With the 64-Bit OS you have a choice of the 32-Bit or 64-Bit applications.

Reaction score
I don't see why you can't. I have 64 bit Win 7 and Flash installed fine on mine. Also you shouldn't be afraid to install Firefox or Chrome. Norton is being over protective.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't see why you can't. I have 64 bit Win 7 and Flash installed fine on mine. Also you shouldn't be afraid to install Firefox or Chrome. Norton is being over protective.
Welcome to the forum, metalmania! You do have 64 bit Windows 7, but your flash is 32 bit. But there's no problem running it. Most of your programs are 32 bit at this time, but that will change as time passes.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Flash is predominately a browser-based application.

ONLY IF you use a 64 bit based browser such as IE 8 x64 will you find that it will not work.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hopefully, in the near future, as IE9 takes shape, that issue (no flash on 64 bit IE) will change. With or without Adobe, it doesn't matter to me, as long as we have a fully working 64 bit browser for Windows 7.

Reaction score
So what you all appear to be saying is that the probable solution is to change your browser. Ok fine. But, how do you tell the difference between Internet Explorer Browsers (there appear to be two on my new Dell Inspiron 560 Desktop), one of which says it's the 64 bit. If I add a third(?) do I keep switching the default internet access setting. By the way, I don't think the 64 bit is being used because when I go online and look under "About Internet Explorer" in the Help menu it appears to be the regular version. Also, what version of Internet Explorer is 32 bit and would we use the one for XP?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The IE symbol to the right of the Start Menu click is the 32 bit one. The 64 bit one can be accessed only within the Start Menu, unless you create a shortcut for it to be placed on your home screen. To my knowledge, there's no difference in the 32 bit IE in Windows 7 from the one in XP (IE8). However, IE8 is an option in XP, depending on which version you have (SP2, or the one that is SP3 out of the box), you have IE6 or IE7. You would want at least IE7 on XP.

Reaction score
Use 32 bit applicatoins

In my opinion 32 bit Flash player can easily be run on 64 bit Windows 7 and as catilley1092 said , with the passage of time 64 bit applications will also come

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, davison2! I hope that you find plenty of knowledge here, I certainly have. 32 bit Flash works fine with 64 bit Windows 7, as you've probably noticed, there's not one for 64 bit IE (or any other Windows compatible browser) at this time. I have a gut feeling that will change when IE9 is fully completed, with or without Adobe. It would suit me fine if it came from another source, if you download and run the Secunia advisor and run a scan, there's a high chance that Adobe is a risk on your system. But they link you to a patch to resolve the issue. With all but netbooks being 64 bit on the retail shelves now, it's only a matter of time that some real 64 bit apps are released.

Ask a Question