Windows 7 and DisplaPort compatibility

Reaction score
Is my PC to old to recognize any version of DisplayPort? It will boot into the BIOS with the DP cable connected but fails to post into Windows. I just bought a new monitor (Viotek GNV34BD) and it'll only boot with an HDMI cable. I updated the video driver and firmware and fiddled with the monitor menu while booted into the BIOS and I see that a DP is connected on the boot welcome screen but then the monitor states no signal. I don't have another DP cable so I guess my question is mostly about my system viability; until I can get another cable if need be. Thanks.
Here's my system: It was built in 2012 lol.

Windows 7 Professional (x64
SABERTOOTH X58 Rev 1.xx
BIOS 1402
Intel Core i7 930, 2.8 @ 3.8
Sockets Supported FCLGA1366
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1)
GTX 1080TI @ factory
24GB DDR3 @ 1814 MHz
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB

*I'm guessing my chip set is just not up for the task. I've been dragging my feet on a new build so this is looks like a start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't say that this is solved but apparently my setup is not compatible with DisplayPort input and nobody here disagrees. Meanwhile I've built a Windows 10 PC to continue sim racing with a 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz monitor which is more suitable for my 1080TI. I'll keep my Win 7 build, it's too good to toss. Best of luck to everyone.
*HDMI will only run at 60Hz highest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
good one. try mx linux live usb using display port and see what happens. if mx linux is able to use dp, then your hardware is supported (experiment)
i'm using dp on win 7, aoc monitor, gtx 750 ti video. dp also worked on xp (2005 build). if i'm not mistaken, there's a latch on the cable where it 'clicks' into the socket. your dp should be working

Ask a Question