SOLVED window 7 key

Reaction score
Hi my hard drive crashed so I reloaded window 7 to my new hard drive with my back up now it wont take my product key. I wants me to buy a new product key or it will shut down windows 7 home premium. what can I do ?
Than you Alan

Reaction score
Contac your computer manufacturer and ask for a set of Recovery Disks.
The cost of the set is minimal.
At the same time, ask to speak to a technician. Explain your problem and see if the tech can help you in other means.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you sure the product key you have was for Home Premium & not Home Starter? Because the key will only work for the correct version. If it was definitely for Home Premium then I would suspect it was mistyped.

Or if you made the mistake of publishing your key online then Microsoft probably shut it down due to abuse and you will need to buy a new one.

Reaction score
It is a computer I built 4 yrs ago. and I bought windows 7 home at that time for 3 computer one for my son and two for me

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Like I said, you may have typed it in wrong, retype it again and choose activate. If it will not then it may think you are trying to use a fourth license in which case you should use the call Microsoft for activation option and they should help you out.

Reaction score
I've typed it 10 times and still wont let me active it do you have a number to call them

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel > System & click "activate windows now". Select "show me other ways to activate" then choose "by automated phone".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No Tristan, there are perfectly legal ways as I explained.

Downloading illegal hacked copies is not a good idea. They can have keyloggers, viruses, trojans, or any kind of malware.

Do not encourage illegal activities or you will be banned.

Reaction score
I went to control panel , system- no activate windows now, is not there. (view amount of check windows Experience Index/Allow RAM and processor speed/ Allow remote access/ see name of this computer / Device Manager ) and that's all ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Control Panel > System ... What do you see at the very bottom in the section entitled "Windows Activation"?

Places online that sell just a product key are usually a scam; the key may work for 3 or 4 months but they are selling the same key to many people so Microsoft eventually shuts it down and then all the people with that key are no longer legal.

Your best bet is to buy an OEM DVD & license. Microsoft doesn't offer free support to OEM versions because the manufacturer or system builder is supposed to provide the support, plus the OS can never be transferred to another computer, but these limitations also make the license cheaper. Be sure to get the bit-size you need (32 or 64-bit) because they do not come with both disks like the full version.

The place I usually check is Newegg ; they have Home Premium for US$100

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It either tells you you have a certain amount of time to activate and gives you an "activate now" link or if it worked it says Activated.
ControlPanel-System Activated.jpg

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And under that there should be a little blue link to "activate now". Hit that and another window should appear. Choose "show me other ways to activate" then choose "by automated phone".

Reaction score
I tried that and it said I have a invalid product key that I have to buy new windows 7 home. ok so if I buy a upgrade. If I buy windows 7 Professional or windows Ultimate on ebay with a coa genuine product key. Would I be better of going that way which would be better. I really don't want to go to windows 8. what do you think would be the best way to go?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there is some concern buying off eBay; personally I have bought 2 that worked, 1 that went invalid after 3 months and it was too late to file an eBay claim, and one that was so obviously a fake (the COA certificate was all blurred) that I filed immediately and was able to recover my money. So what I'm saying is that there is some risk if you don't buy Win7 from an actual store like Best Buy/Staples or a reputable online store like Newegg. But it's up to you.

Ask a Question