win7 search and download location issues

Reaction score
Ive been using win7 for about 6 months now. Before that I was using xp for 15 years.

Im having problems with:

1-Search; the status bar gets to 99% pretty fast, then it's literally hours before the search finishes. Why?

2-Ive been using firefox for over 10 years now. I always set it to download files to the desktop. However, win7 sometimes buries the downloaded file in different locations
as in C:\Users\paul\AppData\xxx Which I can find after hours of searching. Sometimes to a temp file, which is not available the next day. (I always wait at least 24 hours, then run a AV scan on all downloads). Other times its on my desktop, where it should be. Why?

3-Another issue of less importance is that i have taskbar autohide, just like when I used xp. I also usually leave one or more instances of win explorer open and system set to reopen them at boot. This worked great on xp, however, on win 7, the taskbar is displayed and each button for each instance of win exp flashes and taskbar will NOT auto hide until I click each button. That's an annoyance.

thanks for any help,
paul

Ask a Question