Where can I buy an genuine licence activation key?

Reaction score
Hello, a friend gave me a copy of "windows professional SP1 64bit OEM" but the key doesnt work but the dvd is genuine so all I need is to buy a key. I checked Microsoft store and they pulled win 7 and now promoting win 8. I googled more than 10 min with no luck. If I have to buy the DVD, I would like an electronic transaction where I can download and have the win 7 pro sp1 64bit genuine key emailed to me. Any tips? TIA!!!!!!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DVDs are basically free, you can even download and burn it from the internet. It is the license that has the value. Buying just the key from anyone but Microsoft / Digital River is extremely risky because it can work for 3 or 4 months but when Microsoft sees it in use on multiple machines it suddenly shuts them all down and suddenly you are no longer legal, often too late for any recourse from your credit card company. This is a big business with unscrupulous sellers all over the internet and eBay selling the same key to many people.

So buy direct from Microsoft, if they will even sell W7 any more now that W8 is out. Or locally with DVDs and license. If you want to save a little money you can buy a system builders license from a reputable company like Newegg.com; just be aware that the licensing is a little different, system builder licenses are non-transferable and die with the computer/motherboard on which they are first installed.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
a friend gave me a copy of "windows professional SP1 64bit OEM"
Unless he gave you the computer that copy of Windows was purchased for too, then what he (and you) did was illegal. OEM software licenses are tied to the "original equipment" they were purchased for and are NOT transferable to any other computer under any circumstances.

Therefore, I agree 100% with TrainableMan, buy direct from Microsoft.

Ask a Question