whats wrong with my pc blarg

Reaction score
ok a few weeks or was it months ago , said my pc wouldn't show a post screen i could turn it on via the power button connected to the board and there was power going thru the mobo fans come on the graphics card fan comes on but the cpu didnt even warm up and the pcspeaker make one short tick noise for about half a second. i came to the conclusion it was my cpu so i got another 1 ther other day pentium 4 with ht put it in it gets luke warm but still no postscreen whats wrong with it now!! grrr any help will be muchly goood
thanks in advance :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off you should strip it down to the bare minimum. Remove the graphics card and unplug DVD & HD and just use the onboard graphics. So your choices are then limited to MOBO, RAM, PSU, or CPU.

BTW, why is it you can feel the CPU? Doesn't it have a heat sink attached? Also touching components in the computer can give enough static charge to blow them out so you shouldn't be touching them especially when turned on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First off you should strip it down to the bare minimum. Remove the graphics card and unplug DVD & HD and just use the onboard graphics. So your choices are then limited to MOBO, RAM, PSU, or CPU.

BTW, why is it you can feel the CPU? Doesn't it have a heat sink attached? Also touching components in the computer can give enough static charge to blow them out so you shouldn't be touching them especially when turned on.
I've already stripped it down, i don't have on board graphics BUT i have tried it with a different videocard on in a different slot and it didn't work, changed the ram even took it out to see if it would beep like crazy like on other boards it didnt :(, i got another cpu didnt work either and i tested the psu on an older board 20pin + 4pin p4 connector(mine is a 24pin with a 4pinp4 socket), i ordered a psu tester today and it should arrive soon :) as for being able to feel the cpu my heatsink which i regrettably bought off eeeeeeeeeebayy had missing blades and shook the heck out of my hole pc which is probably what broke it in the 1st place grrrrr im poor :( and it got destroyed by me as a result, after it broke last time btw i was grounded if that helps. lol

Reaction score
This situation makes me want to sing.... "I'm all alone theirs no-one here beeside mee... " :flute: :s:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ok the blades would be the heat sink and if you buy a CPU you shouldn't expect it will necessarily be included. But if you don't attach one you may well burn up your CPU. To attach the heat sink you also will need thermal paste. And then normally a fan goes on top of that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Okay, I making an assumption here, but you stated you had missing blades on the heatsink and that it shook like crazy. The ONLY thing that would be missing blades to cause that is the cooling fan on the heatsink. A blade or two missing on the heatsink's fan blades causes an imbalance and then it shakes or vibrates badly.

You stated the mobo's speaker made a short "tick" noise for about a half-second. So it's going tick-tick-tick or does it beep?

You may have damaged your motherboard, from what it sounds like to me. So you're not getting any POST screen whatsoever? You cannot access the BIOS?

What exactly are you doing to determine if your CPU is getting warm or whatever?

Your power supply should be adequate wattage wise, but "generic" PSUs are junk. They have a tendency to fail sooner and more often than name-brand PSUs.

I still think that you may have F.U.B.A.R.ed your motherboard though.

Give us more details and try to be as accurate and concise as possible.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't thinking, but as soon as Nibs said it, it made perfect sense you mean the fan had missing blades. I was thinking of the metal fins some heatsinks have sticking up to give more surface area for heat dissipation but that wouldn't cause a vibration.

Reaction score
ok let me start again and ill try to be more accurate.....
the pc was working fine at 8am, i was on this forum just browsing. i got home at 9 or 10pm tried to use my pc to watch some tv :p There was no post screen, the pc speaker made a single "tick" noise but it wasn't very loud, like if you connect a speaker directly to a battery. i stripped it down, took the mobo out ( i was grounded of course) sat it on a anti-static bag put a 256mb stick of ram in from a different pc, hooked up psu, a different videocard pci, connected the power switch and the pcspeaker. turned it on nothing! i removed the heat sink after tuning it off (it was on for 10mins) it wasn't warm at all ( i was grounded btw) as for my psu it is a cheap one $11 with $11 postage on ebay (new) i was going to buy a brand name one yesterday but i thought it better to buy a tester 1st, a handy thing to have any way. lol

Ask a Question