SOLVED w7 SP1 Public release

Reaction score
Morning All,
Well for those of you that has a copy of w7 RTM or Server R2 that want to take this SP1 for a TEST DRIVE w7 in both 32bit & 64 bit is available here at tech-net site DO NOT DOWNLOAD if you are not up to speed READ THE ENTIRE NOTICE FIRST.I am probably going to regret posting this,However I myself will be Testing this on my 32bit test PC it has the RTM Ultimate copy on it and I will post my findings at end of this test run being 14 days.
Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Beta

Please Note: This early release of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta is not available for home users. The SP1 Beta does not provide new end-user features, and installation is not supported by Microsoft.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta helps keep your PCs and servers on the latest support level, provides ongoing improvements to the Windows Operating System (OS), by including previous updates delivered over Windows Update as well as continuing incremental updates to the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 platforms based on customer and partner feedback, and is easy for organizations to deploy a single set of updates.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta will help you:
  • Keep your PCs supported and up-to-date
  • Get ongoing updates to the Windows 7 platform
  • Easily deploy cumulative updates at a single time
  • Meet your users' demands for greater business mobility
  • Provide a comprehensive set of virtualization innovations
  • Provide an easier Service Pack deployment model for better IT efficiency
In order to download and install the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta you must currently have a Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 already installed.
To learn more about piloting, deploying and managing Windows 7, visit the Springboard Series on TechNet.
To learn more about SP1 Beta and Windows Server 2008 R2, visit the SP1 Details Page.
Register for Download and Guided Evaluation

Review Windows 7* and Windows Server 2008 R2 system requirements and the frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Register for evaluation
Download and install beta software
Receive an email with resources to guide you
Question on the beta? Please visit the Windows Support Forum or the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration & Deployment Forum for additional guidance

*Windows 7 Minimum System Requirements:
  • 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 GB of RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • DVD-compatible drive
  • Internet access (fees may apply)
Note: Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, BitLocker, or navigation through the use of “touch,” may require advanced or additional hardware. Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and 15 GB of available disk space.

Download using Windows Update for the 32-bit or 64-bit versions or download the ISO which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Check the FAQ for which version you should download.

Register for the Download

Each version is available in these languages: English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.

for the members that do try this PLEASE be careful it's a Beta ONLY of SP1
respectfully
jeffreyobrien
http://www.websitetrafficspy.com/jeffreyobrien.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
Core,
that was the case for Win Vista that notice was mentioned but I have not seen this happen as yet if it does during the first week I will post results until then,Thankx for the heads up I am of the belief that seeing is believing we will wait and see Thankx for your post.

KB971033: New Update for “Windows Activation ... Windows Update that downloads and installs ... Windows Vista Service Pack 1

try reading this FAQ

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
We've already had this conversation.
Sorry ol' chap! I'm sure we have, but I forgot. That's the issue of being ADD, every day is a new adventure! LOL! :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the SP1 beta forcibly installs KB971033.
A major update normally includes all former updates. This has also been stated and confirmed by Microsoft.
1033 was listed as an "important" update , when first issued, so it is possible it will be included, without the option.
As I had it already installed, I can't confirm if SP1 also included it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We've already had this conversation.
we have covered this,if the matter still forces that KB well the tech-Net registered key will correct any problems relating to updates only on server at present or RTM ltimate etc of win7
again
Beam me up please :D:eek::):):D
Be nice Boys be Nice:dontknow::eek::confused::lol::cool:
Later
JOB

Reaction score
A major update normally includes all former updates. This has also been stated and confirmed by Microsoft.
1033 was listed as an "important" update , when first issued, so it is possible it will be included, without the option.
As I had it already installed, I can't confirm if SP1 also included it.
No Microsoft have not made any statement nor are they supporting this Beta SP1.
read the links,its all in there guy's
regards
Jeffrey (JOB)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. This from Gavriella Schuster.(General Manager Windows PMG at Microsoft)

"For Windows 7, SP1 will simply be the combination of updates already available through Windows Update and additional hotfixes based on feedback by our customers and partners."
And this in my Email. Looks like reasonable support.

View attachment 1163

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the SP1 beta forcibly installs KB971033.
I would say that KB971033 forcibly installs prior to this SP1 beta release. As part of its "genuine windows" verification process, MS downloaded this update and scanned my OS before they allowed me to download Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). At least that was my experience when I tried MSE in Feb.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Download SP1 Beta Software

The Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Beta is a joint release for both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. SP1 Beta for Windows Server 2008 R2 includes previously released updates and delivers a number of powerful new features for virtualization and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI): Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX.

To download and install the SP1 Beta software, you must currently be running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. The Windows Server 2008 R2 Trial Software allows you to install the SP1 Beta. Windows 7 Trial Software is also available for download.
Download the SP1 Beta software and begin testing today.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Beta and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta
Evaluate the latest virtualization technologies for your organization. Download the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta package today to get the SP1 Beta releases for both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

<H3 class=cueSectionTitle>SP1 Beta Overview

The Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Betas are concurrent releases that we’ve packaged together in a single download for a more streamlined and cost effective deployment. Businesses can begin realizing the advancements of the Windows Server platform for virtualization through two key features: Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX.

</H3>

Read how other customers benefited with Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta releases

• <LI class=cueListItem>Convergent Computing - Consulting Firm Saves 80 Hours a Month with Remote Video and Cuts Hardware Costs.
  • Sporton International - Testing Firm Increases Number of Virtual Machines per Server by up to 75 Percent.

Additional Resources

FAQs
  • <LI class=cueListItem>Windows Server 2008 R2 FAQ - Questions about Windows Server 2008 R2? Read the FAQ.
    <LI class=cueListItem>Hyper-V FAQ - Our Hyper-V FAQ, now updated for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta releases.
  • RDS FAQ - Our Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services FAQ, now updated for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta releases.
Evaluate Windows Server 2008 R2 and SP1 Beta

Start your tailored evaluation

See how the SP1 Beta benefits other companies

Communities to help you

Watch the videos

Last edited:
Reaction score
That *B* word "Beta" keeps me from downloading SP1. Unlike many Win7 owners, who pounce on a service pack the minute it becomes available, I do not fall within that group. I read on another forum that this SP is currently only available to IT pros until the end of July, but even after it becomes publicly available, I am not going to download it, as I keep up on monthly update releases and manually check for them at least once every day.

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Even though I posted this for the IT Professionals that do run platforms for testing etc,the Beta word doesn't worry me because I only install them on another Platform O/S which is used for Just Tests Beta,Folding,etc I suppose thats a good thing because it is people like that who we should be ever so glad that Someone has the resources to use these,Microsoft win 7 team are behind this Beta release SP1 been put together from already released updates we already have most of it ,even though they (Microsoft) give NO PUBLIC support for this tech-net download and it is okay by me as I am fully aware of all the dangers.

Both of you are right in your waiting for the public supported SP1 me too for my RTM Ultimate computer I use daily for surfing,forums,Microsoft updates, its all part of the way things get done in this IT world.Like it then use it,If you have concerns (I also Agree ) don't use it unless you are doingbeta tests,folding,running all sorts of stuff on a completely different computer.

have a great week everyone & look out I have heard we Just might see SP1 on next Tuesday's patch tuesday ?
respectfully
jeffreyobrien (Job)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would say that KB971033 forcibly installs prior to this SP1 beta release. As part of its "genuine windows" verification process, MS downloaded this update and scanned my OS before they allowed me to download Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). At least that was my experience when I tried MSE in Feb.
KB971033 also forcibly installs when you validate to get Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode. I know, because it slid in on me, and I uninstalled it. What I don't understand, there is a similar update for Vista, and although they've had two SP's, the update wasn't forced on their users.

I guess MS is going to do whatever they want to do, regarding this SP and whatever updates that ships with it. One thing for sure, they've already said that there will be nothing new for Windows 7 users, mainly what we already have is what we're getting. You could only assume that the SP will include all Windows 7 updates that was issued to us, whether we chose to accept them at the time of the offer, or not.

But one thing about it, the update was promised to be voluntary, and if they (MS) crams it down our throats after they stated otherwise, they will have deceived us all, and that would not be in their best interests.

For the time being, I'll keep my cool. I won't rush to judgement on what I haven't seen yet. By the time it's released, we'll all know the deal. I'll wait and see what happens first, before I make a decision as to what to do.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That *B* word "Beta" keeps me from downloading SP1. Unlike many Win7 owners, who pounce on a service pack the minute it becomes available, I do not fall within that group. I read on another forum that this SP is currently only available to IT pros until the end of July, but even after it becomes publicly available, I am not going to download it, as I keep up on monthly update releases and manually check for them at least once every day.
Agreed! You don't have to accept the SP, just turn off Auto Updates, and do a daily check. That's exactly what many XP SP2 users were doing until last week. By the time Windows 7 with no SP goes unsupported, the next version of Windows will be released.

Very good point, etalmar!:beer:

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It isn't neccessary to turn off updates, or check periodically. Choose the option "Check for updates,but let me choose whether to download and install them"
If you are sure you will not need any offered, then you can hide them and you will not be troubled again with those particular ones.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's been my experience that KB971033 doesn't automatically get installed during validation or MSE installation if you haven't enabled automatic updates, and have hidden KB971033 from the update list under Windows Update. I typically hide it, and certain other updates which I know for sure I don't want WU to "accidentally" cram into my system.

By the way, I read somewhere in the SP1 Beta FAQs that you will NOT be able to upgrade from the Beta of SP1 to the final release SP1; you'll have to uninstall the Beta SP1 (and included patches, therefore) OR do a complete reinstall of Windows. Personally I wouldn't install the Beta on a production machine, into a VM at best, just because of the history of less than smooth SP uninstallations.

Ask a Question