User Accounts

Reaction score
This is on behalf of the missus.

She's new to W7, as am I.
My PC is used by me at work and home so I log in a seperate account from Admin. I'm having no problems.
She wants to eliminate any extra accounts ( guest, default, ) since she's the only one using her PC.

When she deleted all the un-needed language folders to free up disk space and re-booted, W7 placed additional accounts in the PC she wants to get rid of.

Is there a registry hack to accomplish this? Or is she stuck with these sundry accounts she never uses?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Hello;
Hope this imformation is of some use.
This is from:MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers ,
General Recommendations For Setting Up Users In Windows 7:

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP, Vista and all other modern operating systems,
Windows 7 is a multi-user operating system with built-in system accounts such as Administrator,
Default, and Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative privileges in Windows 7 because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in emergencies) is disabled by default.
If you're running as Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things will be Difficult.
It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator to rescue things, but it may be more work than you want to do.
Better not to put yourself into a bad situation to begin with.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the like) only there for elevation purposes.
Running as a Standard user is best practice for security purposes and will help protect your computer from infection. After you create "CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard.
Then log back into your regular account.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with the icons of user accounts, you can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK.
Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

My personal use:

I do not use a standard user account, have one account with administrator rights, on all units with Windows7 installed. Not the default Administrator Account.
I do have backup of all drives on (self powered) external drives using Acronis True Image. In case of problems.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I already make a backup image any time I make any serious changes to my system files.

But I still find something puzzling about the Accounts.

There are several several Group Accounts listed in the Accounts Manager, one of which is Power Users.
According to Help, the Power Users Account was an XP thing and no longer exists in W7.
Yet there it is in the Accounts Manager.

What gives?

Ask a Question