USB mouse and keyboard issues

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a USB mouse (wired Microsoft 4500) and keyboard (Logitec K120). This is the first time I use USB accessories on this computer, I always used PS2-based devices before. I have six USB ports on my computer, two on the front and four on the back. I tried to connect the mouse to one of the back ports. It worked for a few minutes and allowed me to install the software that came with it. Then the next time I rebooted my system, it stopped working after a few minutes. Now, none of the rear ports are working and after rebooting one of them is telling me that the device installation didn't work (no message for the others). However, if I use a front port the mouse is working well, but it's not ideal and I would rather use one of the back ones.

For the keyboard, I was able to make it work on one of the back ports for a while. At some point I added an extension cable (3 feet) and after that I was never able to make it work again, even without the extension cable. Sometimes I get a message saying that some device is not recognized. Like the mouse, I'm now only able to make it work on the front ports (still fine with the extension cable).

Since roughly the same thing is happening on both the mouse and keyboard, I thought it might have something to do with the USB ports. I checked in the device manage and I don't see any conflict related to USB. However, I noticed that most (5) of my controllers are USB, while one of them is USB2. Could this be related? If so, what are my options? What about USB to PS2 adapters to use my old PS2 ports instead?

My computer is a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM and I'm running Windows 7 32-bits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kari

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In your motherboard's BIOS settings do you have the "Enable Legacy USB" setting enabled?

You shouldn't have to use the USB to PS/2 adapters at all.

Double-check the BIOS settings and see what happens.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If the BIOS Setting does not solve the issue, go back to your Device Manager and try uninstalling the drivers for the USB and then let windows re-install them. (you may need to reboot)

Reaction score
I changed my BIOS settings for USB Legacy from Auto to Enabled. It got my mouse working on one of the back ports, but I'll need to use it a few more hours to make sure it doesn't stop at some point like it used to.

For the keyboard, there is no change. If I try to connect it when I'm already in Win 7, I get an error message saying that the USB device cannot be recognized. That happens on two of the remaining back ports and for the other one it just doesn't do anything.

I'll try next to uninstall the USB drivers and I'll let you know if there is any improvement.

Kari

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you install the Logitech K120 SetPoint driver? That's probably where your keyboard issue is occurring.

Go here to download it: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/434/6692?section=downloads&bit=&osid=14

Try that and see what happens now. You'll need to choose between either the 32-bit or 64-bit SetPoint driver. Make sure the keyboard is plugged in to a USB slot during the install and then do a reboot and see how it works out.

Also make sure your keyboard is plugged in directly to a USB port on the motherboard's input/output panel on the back of the computer.

Reaction score
Hi, I installed the Setpoint driver, but unfortunately the result is the same. All my ports on the backside are connected directly on the motherboard.

I'll try next to uninstall the USB drivers and see if it works better after Windows 7 reinstalls them.

Kari

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What motherboard do you have? and do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Could also be a hardware problem, as you said you never used the USB ports before.

Maybe give Microsoft Fix-it a try.

Ask a Question