Unable to access FTP files from WindowsExplorer

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files from WindowsExplorer.Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View" and "Use Passive FTP but it still will not work.

On my old computer using Windows XP I had no problem accessing my FTP files and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly afirewall issue? My firewall Norton which I turn off to see if that was the issue
This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight. I have just purchased windows 7...it came with my laptop...I am growing to hate it.

I have Norton Firewall and have it off...and that did not help...one thread I saw about this problem was to go in and reset the registry...I certainly don't want to have to resort to that...I would be in serious problems I am sure!

Last edited:

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The IIS 7.0 role on the Windows Home Premium Edition is to support the needs of the casual or hobbyist web developers; as such the majority of the IIS 7.0 Web Server features required for web site development are available. Features not normally associated with hobbyist web development such as FTP server, advanced Web authentication and authorization, and remote administration are not available on the Vista Home Premium Edition.

It may be possible to use ftp but not to serve up files for other ftp clients (IMHO)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried setting up a network location?
Open "Computer"
Right Click , in the lefthand Nav pane, "Computer"
Click "Add a network Location"
Follow the instructions.(Wizard)

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are two simpler ways if you just want to share files.

1-online file sharing service

2-remote desktop transfer (more secure and versatile) my choice is Team Viewer.

Ask a Question