Twain Driver - Canoscan d646u ex for Windows 7

Reaction score
Sadly there are no Win7 drivers for Canoscan scanners. I myself have a Canoscan N650U and I've been through hell and back searching for a Win7 driver and was unsuccessful.:( This is actually the only reason that I keep my laptop running on XP and that's where I use my scanner.

Reaction score
It seem the driver is for xp but when upacked there are actually a driver for vista apparently if you unpack it and use the vista driver it will work. :confused:

i will see if i can find more info on it for you.

EDIT;

do you have X64 v or X32??

ok i found this but be warned it is not the offical cannon site i am just showing that it seems to be that the driver has a 91% compatability rating.

http://www.bioticaindia.com/canoscan-d646u-ex.html

try compatability mode for the driver.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it does have a vista driver it might work. It's also possible it may only work in 32-bit.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sadly there are no Win7 drivers for Canoscan scanners. I myself have a Canoscan N650U and I've been through hell and back searching for a Win7 driver and was unsuccessful.:( This is actually the only reason that I keep my laptop running on XP and that's where I use my scanner.
Not entirely true, I have a Canoscan LiDE 35 and was able to use the 64bit driver for the LiDE 60 to make it work for me.

Reaction score
really?
is there any solution to use canoscan scanners if i use Win7 :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Specify what version of W7 you have and what bit-rate please.

If you use 32-bit you may be able to use the XP drivers.

If you have Professional or Ultimate then you may be able to install & use it in Virtual PC XP mode.

Reaction score
Specify what version of W7 you have and what bit-rate please.

If you use 32-bit you may be able to use the XP drivers.

If you have Professional or Ultimate then you may be able to install & use it in Virtual PC XP mode.
i use W7 Profesional
n system type : 32-bit operating system
so what should i do hehe?
plz help me :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have the XP installation package? You can right-click on it and choose Properties. Pick compatibility and set it to Run with XP (SP3) compatibility. Then see if it installs. If it appears to install, test it to be sure.

OR
Do you have at least 2GB RAM, preferably 3GB+ ? Have you downloaded and installed Virtual PC - XP mode from Microsoft? If so then open a Virtual XP window and install your scanner there. You will have to scan in the Virtual environment but the files can then be saved to folders outside the virtual environment which can then be used by any program installed in W7.

Reaction score
Do you have the XP installation package? You can right-click on it and choose Properties. Pick compatibility and set it to Run with XP (SP3) compatibility. Then see if it installs. If it appears to install, test it to be sure.

OR
Do you have at least 2GB RAM, preferably 3GB+ ? Have you downloaded and installed Virtual PC - XP mode from Microsoft? If so then open a Virtual XP window and install your scanner there. You will have to scan in the Virtual environment but the files can then be saved to folders outside the virtual environment which can then be used by any program installed in W7.
unfortunately my laptop just has 1GB RAM :confused:
do u hv link to download that XP instalation package?
thx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try the first option and hopefully the XP compatibility mode install works because you will have trouble using Virtual PC with so little memory.

Reaction score
Try the first option and hopefully the XP compatibility mode install works because you will have trouble using Virtual PC with so little memory.
thanks a lot :)
and do u know the direct link to download?
i already have "d646uxp602ben" but after i instal nothing happened :eek:
wew...........

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Once you run the exe you need to locate where it expanded the files and you will need to set compatibility mode on all executables there and then run the appropriate files.

As I said it MIGHT work. It was a long shot from the start. The truth is you are attempting to use hardware that is NOT supported since XP!

You could try contacting Canon support and see if they have an alternate driver that may give you functionality (essentially what Draceena mentioned).

In the end, I'm afraid you may need to update your scanner.

Reaction score
Once you run the exe you need to locate where it expanded the files and you will need to set compatibility mode on all executables there and then run the appropriate files.

As I said it MIGHT work. It was a long shot from the start. The truth is you are attempting to use hardware that is NOT supported since XP!

You could try contacting Canon support and see if they have an alternate driver that may give you functionality (essentially what Draceena mentioned).

In the end, I'm afraid you may need to update your scanner.
yeah maybe the last option is i must request to buy a new scanner that can compatible to W7 :D
wew hope that request can be realized :rolleyes: hehe

Reaction score
Not entirely true, I have a Canoscan LiDE 35 and was able to use the 64bit driver for the LiDE 60 to make it work for me.
can i use that driver too?
my scanner is CanoScan D646u ex n my laptop is W7 Profesional with 32 bit operating system....
thx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
can i use that driver too?
my scanner is CanoScan D646u ex n my laptop is W7 Profesional with 32 bit operating system....
thx
Not likely, her situation was using Canoscan LiDE 60 driver for a LiDE 35 in a 64-bit W7.

As I said, I would suggest contacting Canon support. Ask them if they have a Win7 32-bit driver you could install that would give functionality to a CanoScan D646u ex.

Reaction score
CANON D646U EX Toolbox-WIN7 Prof 32

Can someone please tell me that from where I can install the toolbox for Win7 Prof 32bit. I had already installed the XP driver in Win7 and it is working fine but the Toolbox Software for Win XP is not working in Win7....

Any Solution???

Ask a Question