SOLVED TV Tuner not picking up anything correctly without CPU Overclocked in bios

Reaction score
CPUzCPUafterenablingOCGenieLiteInBios.PNG

CPUzMemoryOverclockedCPU.PNG

CPUzMemoryUnOCd.PNG

CPUzSpeed.PNG

PSR : PSRbeforeenablingOC.rar
(or download View attachment PSRbeforeenablingOC.part1.rar and View attachment PSRbeforeenablingOC.part2.rar to the same folder and then extract the file from them)

PSR : View attachment PSRafterenablingOCGenieLiteinBios.zip

This problems been going on for a while now. This time I've made 3 screenshots of CPU-z settings and 2 runs of Problem Steps Recorder to illustrate the issue. My Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 tv tuner has only picked up any tv channels clearly if OC Genie Lite is enabled in the bios. If OC Genie Lite is disabled in the bios the problem occurs. TV comes in scratchy for maybe a minute and then WMC says there's no signal. When I enable OC Genie Lite in the bios the problem goes away. I have the current driver's for HD 6950 video card and the Hauppage tv tuner. Problem existed with HD 5770 also. Tuner works fine on my AM2+ motherboard, so I know that isn't the issue. Here is a PSR showing the problem w/o OC Genie Lite enabled in the bios. Another one with it enabled. I've also include 3 CPU-z screenshots of the ram timings before and after enabling OC Genie Lite. There's also a CPUz screenshot showing the overclock settings OC Genie Lite applies to my AMD Phenom 2 965 BE C3 cpu.

Moderator Note: The before file was too large to store on the forums as a single file so I uploaded it to a public file store in RAR format. File stores purge the files after 30 days of non-use so if you see "not available" it is because it expired and you will need to use the two parts. Also note that the file store incorporates a delay of a few seconds for free users so if you are comfortable dealing with a split RAR file then the two parts will likely be faster for you. -- TrainableMan

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Ian. I used PSR to record the problem. I then had to reboot and enable OC Genie Lite in the bios, which fixes the problem. I did a second PSR showing after I enabled OC Genie Lite in the bios. That's the one that uploaded and posted. I uploaded the PSR zip file demonstrating the problem 3 seperate times and that one isn't showing up. Basically what I'm getting is that if I have OC Genie Lite turned off in the bios. My cpu running at 3.4 ghz. and my ram also running at the factory settings. When I open WMC and try to watch Live TV, it come's up blotchy. I then get a message saying WMC can't find a signal. I close WMC, reboot enable OC Genie Lite in the bios. Start Windows open WMC and Live TV works flawlessly. It's not the tuner, as I pull it off this mobo and put it in my other pc, with my old mobo that was in this pc before and it also works flawlessly there at un-overclocked settings. Another words the only way it works on this 890FXA-GD70 mobo is if OC Genie Lite is enabled in the bios. If I run my cpu at it's stock settings @3.4 ghz. the tuner's picture is blotchy and then disappears.

Moderator Note: The first file you tried to upload was over the size limitations of the forum so I uploaded them to a file store and included the URL in your original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, Overclock Genie seems to solve your problem, so are you just sharing the solution or was there a question? Were you hoping for an alternative solution? Or a reason why this works?

Reaction score
Actually the question was why the tuner only works on this board with OC Genie enabled. Seems kind of dumb, that that's the only way it works correctly.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apparently it needs more processing cycles per second to keep up but Hauppage is probably in the best position to answer why; perhaps you could send the question to product support.

Reaction score
Yeah, they should know the answer and be able to help me. I aked them about the issue after I put the new mobo in. I submitted a support ticket and never got a respnse. I asked both MSI & G Skill about it and they basically didn't help either. I'm eventually gonna get another tuner. I may not use Hauppage next time. I'd love to get one of the Ceton tuners, but they're too expensive and I don't feel like being nickeled & dimed monthly by Bright House for the addin component that's needed. I'll probably just check what AverMedia has. I want to get a Intel 120GB. 510 SSD first for Windows and a 1100T cpu.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't expect the RAM manufacturers to have any idea and the mobo makers might know of compatibility issues with some components though I wouldn't count on it but the actual card manufacturer should definitely know it's system requirements (bus speed, amount of RAM, etc) and compatibility problems with existing mobos.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going to try Hauppage support again this afternoon.

Reaction score
Submitted 4 different support tickets at Hauppages site before getting a single response from them.Only reason why they responded to the 4th support ticket, was probably because I let them know I was going to get the Better Business Bureau involved. That got a response. They told me to turn off OC Genie Lite in the bios, install WinTV 7 and see if it picks up any channels. It picked up a total of 2 cable channels. I sent them the requested logs and they think I'm going to shell out more money to ship their defective tuner back to them. I informed them to mail me a pre-paid label, as I'm not spending any more money on their defective product. We'll see on that one. Anyway, I'm replacing their junk tuner with a Vision Tek TV Wonder next month. http://www.visiontek.com/products/pc-tv-tuners/internal-pc/tv-wonder-650-pcie.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question