The future of virtual pc and xp mode

Reaction score
For the last few years I have been using xp mode to plot posters, maps to my large format roll plotter.
The plotter is broken now and we are faced with a rather large repair bill. Since XP will no longer be supported past April, what is the future for using such a setup – aside from having a standalone dedicated pc? Will Microsoft come up with something else?

Reaction score
Windows XP is history in MS eyes. From what I understand Windows 8 doesn't have XP Mode. If true then XP is essentially dead to MS, and all past development regardless of hardware issues.

If you have a valid XP license there are always other option for Virtualization other than XP Mode. There are several Virtualization applications that you can use for years to come without being dependent on MS. As for MS supporting XP that day has come and gone. Windows XP is what it is and will forevermore be the same OS.

Reaction score
I am vaguely familiar with VM Ware. My concern is it accessing the internet, could it be configured not to?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft still allows the download and install of Virtual PC - XP mode on Windows 7 machines but on the download page it mentions that since XP is no longer supported they encourage using it offline only; they recommend you do not use it to connect with the internet.

VirPC-XP-Notice.jpg

XP will still work as it always has it simply will no longer receive security updates so it will not get patched to protect against any new exploits.

And as Clifford mentioned, there is no Virtual PC for Windows 8 on; so the only way XP would run in higher versions is if you own a licensed copy of XP on DVD and can install it on a different Virtual platform.

Ask a Question