TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager Event ID: 1057: Object already exists

Reaction score
The computer is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition version 6.1 Build 7601 service pack 1. The computer is not in a domain environment. I believe this may be a security issue however I completed an in-place windows 7 upgrade to try and fix the problem but after all of the windows updates, etc the error remains and appears every time the computer is rebooted...

I could use some help with the following error:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
Event ID: 1057
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The Terminal Server has failed to create a new self signed certificate to be used for Terminal Server authentication on SSL connections. The relevant status code was Object already exists.

Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager"
Guid="{C76BAA63-AE81-421C-B425-340B4B24157F}"
EventSourceName="TermService"

I found {C76BAA63-AE81-421C-B425-340B4B24157F} in my registry in the:

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Analytic -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Debug -> OwningPublisher

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> WINEVT -> Channels -> Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Operational -> OwningPublisher

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
%SystemRoot%\system32\termsrv.dll

When I open as administrator a command prompt window and enter the follow: regsvr32 termsrv.dll

I get the following message:

RegSvr32

The module termsrv.dll was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that termsrv.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

Not sure if this is a problem or if this behavior is expected...

I ran sfc /scannow and check disk on the hard drive with both reporting no errors.

I updated the security profile for:

[Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security]

In the right pane, double click "Require use of specific security layer for remote (RDP) connections", in the security layer list, select RDP.

I modified the policy and there was no change in computer behavior. The error still appears each time the computer is reboot.

===

I found a semi-related webpage that at least lists the same Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager and 1057. However I'm running Windows 7 64-bit edition and I seriously doubt I have a lack of available memory issue.

Event ID 1057 — Terminal Services Authentication and Encryption
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775192(v=ws.10).aspx

Physical Memory (MB)
Total 24567
Cached 6337
Avaiable 21821
Free 15709

The relevant status code says that the "Object already exists" which I think is far more relevant then some memory issue. Do I have to delete some file or registry entry? Or is it a security issue?

Ask a Question