system indicates faulty drivers are "working properly"

Reaction score
After switching to windows 7, several devices need new drivers. I expected that, but the system keeps insisting that all of the drivers are up to date.
This makes fixing it a lot harder, I could fix sound, but the cd-rom driver is not cooperating. I have a zip with the right driver, but the device manager nixes the procedure with "This device is working properly". Which would be fine, if the cd-rom drive actually worked.
Any thoughts?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In device manager first choose to "uninstall driver". When installing a new driver make sure to browse for the driver and point it to yours, not allow the system to search for it.

Note: If you have Windows Update set to treat recommended updates the same as critical updates then Windows Update may install drivers over the ones you install. To prevent that, disable the treat recommended updates the same as critical updates settings but then you will need to take the responsibility to manually run Windows Update and Install/Hide the drivers you want/don't want installed.

Ask a Question