Spelling and Grammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
May I ask why you are asking for correct english on a global website?
Is it your goal to drive Coco off the forums because of his grammer?
No, just kidding, I have had several private messages with him. He's alright, just has a lot of youthful enthusiasm. Actually, I feel that he has a lot of potential, and have told him so. We are not the only two that has suggested using a spelling checker. And if I felt that way towards anyone, I'd get with you or one of the other moderators first.

Reaction score
I agree with the spell checker. It was probably five months after I found this forum that I started using it myself. I didn't know about the spell checker for one. Now I realize I can use it anywhere inside the browser to check my spelling. The spell checker really does come in handy.

It's the sentence structure and poor use of words that I find I should over look on the forum. For one English may not be their primary language. Even if English is their primary language, how many different accent's are there?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, since he lives in Australia and claims to be 16 years old, he should have a fairly good grasp of spelling, etc.

I'm outta here!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In support, I was one who suggested the use of a spell checker to coco.
I am incredibly low on typing skills, so I would probably benefit from one myself!
Quote from an earlier post of mine:
"Accepting the internation environment of forums, I have never taken a great deal of notice of bad spelling or grammar. Really par for the course"

Last edited:
Reaction score
You guys if you keep complaining about my spelling I will leave the forum because I try and no one is perfect. A lot of the time I Spell well but on a keyboard you hit other keys by accident or hit the ones next to one at the same time. I'am sure you have done the same and if I look harder I will find posts with spelling mistakes in them by others as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that this topic was about possible trouble with Windows 7. NOT about spill chuckers.

Reaction score
I Think andsome needs a Spell Checker because It's "Spell Checker" not "Spill Chucker".

I'am trying to turn the thread because some members are getting annoyed with this thread.

Reaction score
I Think andsome needs a Spell Checker because It's "Spell Checker" not "Spill Chucker".

I'am trying to turn the thread because some members are getting annoyed with this thread.
:):):):):)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Now it has led into (The first I think, on this site?) a flaming war.
As I said in a post at the start, anyone addressing this thread, with an explanatory post, would be better served posting the particular problem in the help portions of the site. The Poll has little purpose. I see it is to go on for quite a while yet?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You guys if you keep complaining about my spelling I will leave the forum because I try and no one is perfect. A lot of the time I Spell well but on a keyboard you hit other keys by accident or hit the ones next to one at the same time. I'am sure you have done the same and if I look harder I will find posts with spelling mistakes in them by others as well.
Coco,

I am just as guilty also. I believe what is trying to be communicated to you is the fact that prior to the quoted post above, nearly all your posts were loaded with gross spelling errors and hard to read and/or understand in the syntax that you did them in.

You are young, (wish I was still 16 with the knowledge I have now) but I for one, know that if you want to succeed in the the business world and high tech then good grammar and composition skills are needed.

You will have to communicate through email and other forms of written electronic communication, in addition to the spoken word. You may find this hard to believe, but prospective employers and bosses will look at how your spelling and grammar are. They MAY NOT say so, but in the back of their minds, if a person has poor communication skills then they're usually not considered for the job as much as one who is a skilled communicator.

In the past, when I was in positions of hiring new employees, if they weren't able to spell correctly or communicate effectively verbally then the application went to the back of the file cabinet. I was not prepared to teach a 22 to 29 year old person on basic English comp & grammar. That was what school was for.

I realize you probably get excited and want to get the posts and replies to the forum up as soon as possible. Perhaps in that haste some or a lot of errors occur. It happens to ALL of us, believe me.

I believe if you just take a few more seconds and make sure that what you're posting is readable and communicates what you're really thinking then that will go a long way toward the rest of us getting the proper message.

Sincerely,
Nibiru2012

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Coco, my posts agreeing about the spell checkers were meant to help you, not hurt you. Nibiru is right, when you seek employment, potential employers look at this, and in the line of work you are pursuing, communication skills are a MUST, not an option. When I was working as an operations manager for a baking company, I personally selected who to hire. If an application for employment looked like some of your posts, they hit the trash can. I've seen some of your posts and they were almost perfect. Slowing down will help a lot. There is a forum that I was a member of (Windows BBS, ran by Arie Slob), that would kick you off the forum over these things. No one is trying to do that to you here. We are only trying to help you. You may not see that at the moment, but in the future, you'll be glad we pointed these things out to you. As I have personally told you in other posts and in private messages, I hope that you succeed in your chosen career. Just ask Veedaz, there's plenty of work available in the computing field. I personally wish nothing but the best for you. Sincerely, Charles

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I left school 36 years ago and English / Spelling was far from my best subject so i use a spell check for all my posts because if i did not none of you would know what the hell i was on about :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One suggestion I could make, which I have recently begun to adopt myself, is to pretype and examine the post in something like notepad, before posting it up on the site. Helps my bad typing a lot!

Reaction score
You should alway remember too that when talking about yourself, it is I and NOT i. See above post.:)

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, couching criticism in a web of compliments is criticism all the same. When it comes to matters of personal opinion, a little ambivalence goes a long way; let us treat with deference the opinions and practices that we well regard, and ignore the ones we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question