speech recognition

Reaction score
Friends:
I have found this interesting site due to a question I came up with when I started to explore the speech recognition program in W7. I remember that about 1000 years ago I had looked into something akin to this, namely, the Dragon Naturally Speaking software. I scrambled around in the attic and dug up a very good microphone that I got from Radio Shack. I was wondering if anyone out there would know how to hook up the following hardware to the computer -- perhaps I would need an adapter of some sort. These are its vital statistics: Optimus (brand) Dynamic Microphone, unidirectional, 60-16,000Hz response with a 1/4" phone plug. So, perhaps I would use the plug on one of the inputs in the back of the computer? The computer is a Dell Studio XPS 8100. So, there you are. And here I shall await hearing from someone who has delved into this world. I thank you now for any info that would help me have some good fun with the S.R. stuff. Thanks.
Chen

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can get adapters that convert the 1/4" phone plug size down to the smaller size needed to plug in on the back of the computer.

I'm sure Radio Shack has them, if there's a Fry's Electronics near you they should have them too. Also check Newegg.

Check out this website, their prices seem very reasonable too.

http://www.audiogear.com/Audio-Adapters-Phone-Plug.html

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Nibiru2012 for the info. There is an R.S. just down the street and 'round the corner, so that should be simple enough. Say hello to all the others on the X of Planet. I shall have fun "talking to my documents". Take care.
Chen

MTM

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Nibiru2012 for the info. There is an R.S. just down the street and 'round the corner, so that should be simple enough. Say hello to all the others on the X of Planet. I shall have fun "talking to my documents". Take care.
READ "Getting Started With Windows Speech Recognition." There is a section on microphones as well as how to dictate and enunciate (not conversationally).

Marty

Ask a Question