SOLVED sort files/folders using multiple criteria

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there an easy way to sort files/folders using multiple criteria--say by size, date and folder for instance? A free utility perhaps?

and/or

An easy way to capture the data in Wins' file explorer (view=detail) that I can bring into EXCEL?

Thanks,
Rusty

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are several Windows Explorer replacement programs but I have never tried them so I do not know if any allow for sorting by multiple columns.

or

It is possible to write a Visual Basic script to run in excel and fetch folder, filename, and file details but several search attempts to locate an actual full-fledged script all resulted in "must join to see" or basic ideas, samples to get started.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Reaction score
It seems shift clicking on additional criteria adds mutiple sort keys in windows file explorier so... answered.

Thanks for all your help!!
Rusty

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It seems shift clicking on additional criteria adds mutiple sort keys in windows file explorier
Not sure what you mean, if I click on date modified and then, while holding shift, click on Type, mine simply resorts by type.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. Lost me there. Possibly the op means something to do with "View" - "Choose details"?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even in there my shift key has no effect. :confused:

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean, if I click on date modified and then, while holding shift, click on Type, mine simply resorts by type.
I tested this in a test folder I set up... if I click on 'file type' to sort it, the files are not sorted by date within each file type. If I then <shift>click on 'date modified' the files are sorted first by file type and then by date. You do not hold down the shift key when when selecting the first sort column, just when adding additional columns.

Works for me.

Rusty

Ask a Question