SOLVED Samsung SCX-4100 will not scan

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and I have attached to my computer a Samsung SCX-4100 multi-function device (printer, scanner, copier). I have installed the recommended driver from the Samsung Website and the device now prints and photocopies fine. But it won't scan. I have installed the correct Smart Thru software from the original installation disc that came with the printer. But when I launch Smart Thru and tell it to Scan to a Folder it returns the message 'unable to open SCX-4100'. On my old computer (to which this device used to be attached, and scanned fine) I think I had an icon on my desktop marked 'twain'. I do not see such an icon on my new computer desktop. Any thoughts on what I can try to get the scanner to work would be most welcome.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, Nibs provided a direct link to the scan driver; It could also be gotten from hitting the driver tab from the link I provided and choosing the W7 scan driver.

From my link there are also manuals you may be interested in reading and software called SmarThru 4 which appears to include an OCR application. In case you aren't familiar with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) it is a way to convert scanned images into actual text documents rather than just a digital photo like JPG, etc; this may be of some value to you (just be sure to get the W7 version).

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for these helpful replies, and apologies for my slow follow-up. I needed to find a clear afternoon in order to follow your instructions, as I find working with computers quite stressful. I have today downloaded the scanner driver successfully and the machine is now scanning. Although the software doesn't work quite as its internal help guide says it should, I have stumbled on a work-around and can now scan images into my family tree, which was the point of the whole exercise. I am most grateful.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This is a hoot! We get a Thank You reply after a little over two months!

Gotta love it. Thank You lwrpy for taking the time to come back and letting us know it worked out okay for you.

This thread is now considered Solved!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In start menu ... all programs ... accessories you should find Windows Fax and Scan. I find the interface to scan quite simple to use. Simply hit the New Scan button, choose preview in the new scan window, size the image in the display window with the mouse, choose scan, highlight the filename in the list, and File ... Save As.

NOTE: If Fax was not installed or has been removed it can be added back from control panel \ Programs and Features ... Turn Windows features on or off. Expand the Print and Document Services section and check Windows Fax and Scan.

And yes, thank you for coming back to let us know you finally got it working; so many times we never hear from the people again once they get it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
samsung SCX-4100 scanner driver

I read the last posts and tried the link you gave but the links are not opening any more.
I have got exactly the same problem and I need to download the scanner driver but I can not find it. I can find the printer driver which I already downloaded it but I can not find the scanner driver for Samsung SCX-4100.

Would you please give me a link that I can download it?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
I am downloading the file now with the slow downloading option as it is I guess is free. The download is going to take about 5 hours! Is it usual or something is wrong with it?

I am not sure if it will be a successful download and I have to wait until the download is complete. Isn't there another option to download this driver?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's only 5MB; even free it should take a few seconds.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Something is wrong, I just downloaded the file in a few seconds with the free option.
You are very kind and thanks for your interest. Could you please tell me exactly how I can download it and where did you get the free download? I just have a look at your free software database but did not see the scanner driver. Do you have it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Because it is an exe your browser/add-ons/anti-virus may block it in some fashion.

You also should be logged on as an administrator to run it once it is downloaded.

Reaction score
Because it is an exe your browser/add-ons/anti-virus may block it in some fashion.

You also should be logged on as an administrator to run it once it is downloaded.
The link you gave says "Access Denied. You are not a Premium member." when I click on fastest download option. Can you please tell me which option I should chose? I am the only user of my computer and there no admin matter to stop me from downloading. My security always asks my permission before downloads. so it is not a problem either. i think I am not very sure what to do on this web-page. Slower download was a free download option and I had to cancel it. It says 8 seconds but it seems to me it would take about 5 hours. Already I waited for two hours and did not even download its one quarter.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Click the Green button that says Slower download, wait for the timer and enter the messed up pair of character strings.

Reaction score
Click the Green button that says Slower download, wait for the timer and enter the messed up pair of character strings.
Thank you for your attention. Scanner is not downloading but printer and photocopier only which I already have them.

My computer is HP Intel core. Do you think this computer does not allow downloading the scanner? I never have had any problem with my previous computer. Is there any other way that I can get the scanner download? My printer is in a perfect condition and I do not want to get a new HP friendly printer which is not fare if the HP computer creates all these troubles to me!

Reaction score
I really need help to sort out this matter. Please let me know if there is a way of downloading scanner for Samsung printer SCX-4100? :(

Ask a Question