Run dialog box history?

Reaction score
Group policies; clearing history.

Hihi, i'm looking for the policy settings which used to disable history tracking.
E.g no previously opened/navigated folders and files being stored in;
Recently Opened documents
Explorer drop down context menus
Run dialog box history
etc

So far i've perused the gpedit.msc utility and found some settings which work to remove the recently opened documents list and recently opened programs list.

However in the Run dialog box i still see a list of recently opened programs and files.
That is rather annoying as i'd rather not have people know simply via the history where all my 3rd party administrators tools are.

I don't want to disable the run command as i tend to use it a fair bit.

So far disabling document & application history recording in the start menu & taskbar settings, gpedit and registry has disabled it everywhere except the run dialog box.

Is this a bug or what?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to disable it, but you can use a tool like CCleaner to erase your run history if required :)

Reaction score
yes i might have to see if i can put an automatic clean on logon scripts or PC startup.

EDIT: that worked a charm. Weird. I looked in the registry and windows history locations and found SOME of the historical references, but not all.
Wonder where this removed them from..
Until i get it to remove automatically ill just run it before shutdown, thanks Ian

Last edited:

Ask a Question