Roxio 2012 - 64-Bit machine but only 32-bit version installs

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7, 64 bit machine.

I am trying to install the latest version of Roxio 2012, a 32 and 64 bit program, which according to the Roxio tech support folks, is supposed to automatically install as 64 bit on a 64 bit computer. Its not working and installs as 32 bit program.

I am wondering if this is a common problem and if anyone has any suggestions.

Things I have already tried:

Repaired the Microsoft.net program and updated same. No effect.
Installed as Administrator. No effect.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello mmclarke! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Some software which is both 32-bit and 64-bit capable will sometimes install into both the "Program Files" and the "Programs Files (X86)" folders. Raxco's PerfectDisk does that and so does the Realtek HD Audio, FoxIt PDF software and so forth.

So check the "Programs Files" folder, which is the 64-bit or X64 programs folder and see if there isn't that occurring with your installation.

Don't try to get too worried about all this, some software just does that, and I believe it something to do with providing smoother compatibility.

Thrax or Digerati probably have the answers to this question that make more sense than my answer.

Reaction score
Still not installing as 64 bit

Yea, I noticed that it installed parts into both folders.

But when I check the program in the Task bar, you can see that it has the *32 marked next to the running process, indicating it is running as 32 bit.

Roxio is at the point where they want to finger point and tell me its Windows and not their program. But I cannot find any reason Windows would not install this as 64 bit if the program is in fact 64 bit capable.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it installed both then the next point is to check if the 64-bit can run. Close Roxio if it is running, then go to program files\roxio12\ (or wherever it is stored, but NOT program files (x86)) and run the executable from there. Does the 64-bit version open/run that way?

Next question is how you are starting the program? Are you using a desktop icon? A start menu icon? A pinned task menu icon? or are you selecting a file and having it open by File Association. You need to make sure all these methods to start the program are pointing to the program files folder and not program files (x86) because any of them that use (x86) will initiate the 32-bit program.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For some reason, it installed only a small portion - one file - in the program files and the entire program in the X86 folder. I run it from the Start menu, there is nothing to run from the 64 bit folder.

The program is supposed to install only one version, based on your system. For some reason, it is not recognizing that my system is 64 bit, and installs the 32 bit version only.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, then it did NOT in fact install a 64-bit executable. If Roxio can not help you install the 64-bit version then I would return the product for refund and try a different manufacturers product. Them blaming MS because their install routine doesn't work is nonsense.

Reaction score
I am trying to install the latest version of Roxio 2012, a 32 and 64 bit program, which according to the Roxio tech support folks, is supposed to automatically install as 64 bit on a 64 bit computer. Its not working and installs as 32 bit program.
Them blaming MS because their install routine doesn't work is nonsense.
I agree with TM, blaming MS is pointing a finger at anyone other than themselves.

On a side note:
Microsoft Office 2010's automatic installer will install the 32 bit version only. At least that was the case with two Office 2010 Home and Student purchases. To install the 64 bit version I had to navigate the install disk to find the 64 bit installer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What Clifford says is true. Are you absolutely sure there isn't a different install program (perhaps from a different folder on the disk)?

Can you post the file/folder list from the root of the DVD?

Ask a Question