Rename Control Panel Entries

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I came to W7 straight from XP and one of the things that has nagged at me, at least whenever I need it, is that they renamed "Add or Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features". It's not so much that they changed the name that gets to me; it is that, because the list is alphabetical, "Add or Remove Programs" was always the third entry in the Control Panel but "Programs and Features" gets sorted to more than half way down the list and does not stand out to me amongst its' neighbors :(

With a little searching in the registry I found the location (*) where these control panel (.cpl) applications names are defined.
  • Run regedit.
  • Locate HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MuiCache\1B0\52C64B7E
  • Now the list is rather long, so FIND (ctrl+F) "Programs and Features"
    (this will be an entry like "@C:\Windows\system32\appwiz.cpl,-159").
  • Simply right-click and choose modify.
  • I renamed mine to "Add or Remove Programs & Features"

Now "Add or Remove Programs & Features" is the second entry in control panel where it can easily be found :)

Note: I also tried deleting entries from here to remove them completely from the control panel and that didn't work, they simply come back.

EDIT: Something and I do not know what, restored the entry to Programs and Features. I had tried logging off and back on again and I also tried restarting before posting and neither of those caused it to reset. I also know I have not done a system restore nor a reinstall. At this point I have to say this is an imperfect idea as it can revert back.

Disclaimer: As with all registry tweaks, it is a good idea to back-up your registry and create a system restore point prior to making any changes.

* I don't believe the bit version would matter but I run a 64-bit OS, so if someone finds this registry location is different in 32-bit, please add a post with the correct 32-bit OS location.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe I'll stick with Revo, thank-you. :D
I don't know what that means.

Is REVO a tool that lets you change it via a GUI? Is it freeware? Do you have a link?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you using the paid version? Because I just installed it (and added it to the freeware DB based on two other recommendations) but I don't see an option to change the control panel items.

Or did you just mean you never use "Programs and Features" from the control panel because you use revo instead?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I use either Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner's uninstaller in all of my Windows OS's, from Win 2K through Win 7 Ultimate, and it does a better job (especially Revo) of getting rid of the leftover crap from the uninstalled app. Meaning that you have a lot less meaningless registry entries to deal with later.

I never use the default Windows uninstall option from the control panel, for the above reason. If Windows could only find a way to clean up behind themselves after their uninstall option, I'd be willing to use it again.

I don't care for the renaming, as I know what the program is. If anything, I'd prefer to delete it, unless it learns to clean up behind itself.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Are you using the paid version? Because just installed it (and added it to the freeware DB based on two other recommendations) but I don't see an option to change the control panel items.

Or did you just mean you never use "Programs and Features" from the control panel because you use revo instead?
Free version. No option to change CP items.

My original post was "tongue in cheek"
I haven't used "Add/Remove" or "Programs and Features" since I found Revo about 3 years ago. I never ever added or installed anything through either one. Wouldn't know how.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, It hit me after I wrote my first sentence that you probably meant it that second way.

But this tip can be used to rename the title of many system apps. For instance if you are used to XPs "System Tray" instead of "Notification Area" you can modify "@C:\Windows\System32\taskbarcpl.dll,-1" to say "System Tray Icons" instead of "Notification Area Icons"

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I didn't mean to take away from the original post in any way, and I'm sorry if I did. In fact I found it extremely informative.

I'm not a huge registry diver but I always like to learn. Thanks for posting it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well, see the first thought that popped into my head was "Oh Yoda knows of a GUI to tweak the Control Panel titles?" because I was thinking more along those lines. It wasn't until the middle of my next post that I realized you probably just meant "because you don't use Programs and Features".

I just installed Revo today, but I was a bit disappointed because I had hoped it could scan for extras left by programs that I had already uninstalled using "Programs and Features". Seems it has to be watching/controlling Programs and Features before it can do its' stuff. Fine if you have been using it for 3 years but not much value the day it's installed.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Nice Tip TM. Eight years of looking for specific "phrases" is hard to shake off!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I thought you might like that, Elmer :) Haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Everything fine. I discovered and dusted off an old copy of roller coaster tycoon 3 I'd never finished and thought I would see if it works in 64bit......

Bloody addictive games!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have to be the fly in the ointment!
I do as little customisation for convenience as possible. I would not care to try and change too many things everytime I install Windows 7, to keep "old tricks", going. I prefer to move on and try to become accustomed to the new layout and navigation. (That is until they change it all again in Windows 8 - lol)

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I have to be the fly in the ointment!
I do as little customisation for convenience as possible. I would not care to try and change too many things everytime I install Windows 7, to keep "old tricks", going.
Not too hard here. As a basic start:- Install 7, Photoshop, Security stuff, a dozen other 'essentials', one .reg file.

It's a big .reg file mind!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I actually try to maintain a huge directory of folders of all the software I install and all the tweaks I perform. I have folders called Installed7, InstalledXP, LinkAsNeeded, MaybeSomeday, ProbablyNever, and zOldVersions,

I even have an InstalledVista and I never had Vista on my machine; just played with it a few days on the machine set up for my Bro's business partner before upgrading it to W7 and selling the Vista on eBay.

(In case Digerati sees this I will elaborate. The computer came with it's own Vista license which qualifies it for the W7 upgrade, so the license with the full non-oem version of Vista was legal to sell).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Way to go, Trainable. Notwithsranding my previous post, I also keep a folder going with any useful trick I invent or find . currently up to 5.7Gbs. I don't have the brains to commit that lot to memory!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Something and I do not know what, restored the entry to Programs and Features. I had tried logging off and back on again and I also tried restarting before posting and neither of those caused it to reset. I also know I have not done a system restore nor a reinstall. At this point I have to say this is an imperfect idea as it can revert back.

Ask a Question