Remote printer deleted after reboot

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm using Remote desktop connection to connect to a server, and then set up a printer on the server to print to my printer on my local pc. It works fine, but when I restart the pc, the printer is gone. I have to go add printer and add the printer all over again and then it works fine for the day. Using Windows 7 Pro x64 on both machines. Any advice?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely, when your computer reboots it gets a new IP address within your network which means your printer attached to it is also at a new place in the network and so you have to find it by adding it again. I think if you assign your computer with the printer to a static IP address within your network it would work because then the printer is always in the same "place".

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback... The pc and server is already on a static IP address. I also thought it might be because I installed it on the server from the remote pc, so I went to the server and installed it there and not remotely, but still the same problem. What I did find is that it shuffles the port numbers around.\ eg TS008 DELL: PRN3, and then if I log out and back in, it's on TS020 DELL: PRN3... I also saw that it doesn't happen when I restart, but every time I close the remote session and open it again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question