Re-install Win7 which came with laptop?

Reaction score
I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop about 2 and a half years ago from Best Buy, and it came with the 32-bit version of Windows7 already installed on it. It worked really well for a long time, but for the past 6 months or so it's been a bit slower and takes longer to start up and shut down. I've tried all the usual things to speed it up (defrag, CCleaner, msconfig, etc), but have come to the conclusion that the only thing for it is to do a clean system restore. That's where I hit a roadblock: though I would say I am at least a little computer savvy, I've never re-installed windows and can't find how to do so with only the product code on the sticker. Hence my somewhat stupid question of how to do so without crashing the system.

*Note: I definitely don't have a virus or anything, I've scanned with multiple anti-malware services a million times.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Easiest is to burn the restore disk; this should be an available option, in fact most laptops instruct you to create this disk the first time they are booted (do you recall that back when it was new? If you never did it then it should still be possible). Then Use Windows Easy Transfer to dump all your settings and data to DVD or USB pen drive, then format and install from restore disks and use WET again to restore your data.

If you can't generate that disk there is still a solution. You can download the official ISO and burn that to DVD. But it has a drawback; it will not include any custom drivers shipped w/ your computer and manufacturers always tack on extra software; 95% of which is junk you delete anyway but there is usually one or two that do onscreen volume bars or make your touchpad work and you will need to get these from the manufacturer or find a substitute.

In fact you could likely switch to the 64-bit ISO if you mobo/cpu can handle it though it would mean needing all new drivers for video etc (most will be in the ISO DVD but some may not).

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I believe you bought your laptop about 1-1/2 years ago. Windows 7 did not become official until July of 2009 when it went RTM as they say in the industry for the OEM computer makers. Retail was released in October of 2010 for the general public.

Toshiba has available for $15.00 the Toshiba Windows 7 installation discs. Call Toshiba and you can order them from there.

Ask a Question