SOLVED R51 Wireless Driver

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am new here.

I have an old R51 IBM Laptop. I installed Windows 7 on it ( It was shipped originally with XP)

I downloaded the drivers from the lenovo website,.. and set compatability to XP before installing the driver,.. but it doesn't seem to work. I was hoping if somebody can could help me.

-m

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That laptop is about 6 years old. You may have some difficulty with the wireless driver on this one.

Not trying to be offensive here, but your laptop was designed for Windows XP, not Windows 7.

Windows 7 should really only be installed on hardware from 2007 and on up, hardware compatible with Vista at the very least.

There are people who get Windows 7 to run on older hardware but in the long run they're trying to make a Ferrari out of a Model-T.

I wish you luck regarding this. Have you tried hooking up with an ethernet cable and seeing if you can update the driver that way?

Have you checked Softpedia? What chipset is the wireless using?

Reaction score
I am seeing this late.

I am answering this myself so that someone in the future is looking for this driver would have an answer.

So I was an idiot. The wireless card was switched off.

The dedicated built-in drivers that comes shipped with Windows 7 is good enough to run the wireless.

Thank you for your answer by the way.

Oh, and the system works great... much faster and better than having XP on it. I even put Office 2010, much much better. I indeed made the right decision.

R51User.

Ask a Question