Problem with RAM of windows7 64bit system

Reaction score
Hi, im using windows 7 64 bit system.I upgraded my system from 32 bit os to 64 bit os for using total of 4GB RAM.But now the physical memory usage always showing more than 30% and it will always rise inappropriately while running programs(64bit or 32bit programs).There is no such situations occurred while using 32bit win7 and my RAM usage will shows about 20-25% and upto the maximum of 55%.Is this a common problem? is there any solution?

(sorry for my bad english :) )

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
W7 is designed to use your extra memory for things like search indexing, both in the 32 & 64-bit versions. When you first install it can take some time for the search indexes to generate. It may calm down after a week or so of installation.

Another possibility is your Anti-virus; try uninstalling it and see if it has an effect. Your A/V is likely 32-bit and may not function quite as well in 64-bit. This is just a theory, I don't know for certain, but if you uninstall it is easy enough to see if that is an issue.

(and I assure you, your English is much better than my Hindi :) )

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Another possibility is your Anti-virus; try uninstalling it and see if it has an effect. Your A/V is likely 32-bit and may not function quite as well in 64-bit. This is just a theory, I don't know for certain, but if you uninstall it is easy enough to see if that is an issue.
I think it is a good theory. But I caution not to simply uninstall and install. But rather make sure you download and install the 64-bit version of your anti-malware program.

This also assumes you used a legitimate copy of the 64-bit version to upgrade. This is important, not just for licensing, but because unauthorized copies may be infected with malware.

Note too, all your hardware now needs 64-bit drivers for optimal performance too.

Are you seeing the full 4Gb? You might also look in Task Manager to see which program is eating up that RAM.

In the end, your computer should run better (or at least as well) with 64-bit as it did with 32-bit. And 64-bit Windows 7 has some security features not found in 32-bit Windows 7 so ultimately, it is a good move to go to 64.

Ask a Question